Windows 8: Upgrading from Windows 7 guide.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by myhken, Aug 25, 2012.

1. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
  2. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Looks easy, but doesn't seem to work properly. I've already tried to switch from Windows 7 x64 PL to Windows 7 x64 Pro, but I get an error "Setup has failed with applying migration".

3. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I've never seen this work very well with any previous version of Windows. My opinion is that a new OS is a good time to start fresh with a clean install. This gets rid of all the junk that accumulates over time and slows things down.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I think it works as long as you didn't use any pirated programs which having a direct relation to MS. What also will not work is if you use and "pirated" version of MS Office which is activated with an KMS Generator, me think.

As I used Windows Easy Transfer just for Data and Apps, except Windows settings, I was able to transfer all of them and they now running on my Enterprise Evaluation installation without any problems.

Unfortunately it's difficult to know and to find out what could be a weakpoint for not to be able to migrate!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I agree that it's alway a good idea with a "clean install". But somebody likes to upgrade, and it's pretty simple as you can see in my guide.

Your Windows 7 installation does not have to be activated to be upgraded to Windows 8. But I have not tried with a loader or KMS activation. Just without typing any key and using the 30 grace period.

My Office 2010 was activated on all my tests.

Winter: I will test Windows 7 HP 64bit on my next test run...one time this weekend.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I was try that direct update from an Test W7 Computer with a lot "Test" Software and it directly failed. Worked well with Windows Easy Transfer!

Could be a problem to find out what triggers the fail of migrating! And here in Thailand most people are using "Test" Software!! So if someone ask me I wouldn't suggest an direct upgrade!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Works fine now, the problem was with selecting to get online updates for installation. After unchecking it, the migration went well and every program I had in my Win7 is now running under Win8. Great OS IMO.

8. xmixdix

xmixdix MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2012
    Hi

is it possible to activate win8 after the upgrade from win7?

thanks for the guide and help!

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sure!

Depend on what version you use for the Upgrade! If you use to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, read the related stichies, all infos are there as well of any link mey need for to download any needed files.

10. xmixdix

xmixdix MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2012

hey thanks a bunch! I am asking because I read in a few places about the need for a clean install, so I wasn't sure!