Windows 8 upgrading questions.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by HemdonG, Mar 18, 2014.

1. HemdonG

HemdonG MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2014
    Hello Everyone,

I own a dell inspiron 3521 which came preinstalled with windows 8 single language 64bit. I want to perform a clean install of windows 8.1 professional 64bit which is a volume version. The thing is that do I need to backup my oem key for installation, bcoz i am planning to activate it via kms tool, so will my oem key work?? also the laptop has a recovery partition which i am planning to format, do u guys encourage it??

Thanks for your help, time and support..
    HemdonG

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Since your Core Single Language key cannot activate Pro at all, you can scratch that step. KMS tools usually will insert the generic gVLK for the edition you're running.

3. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Up to you, if you don't plan to use it. I could give you 2 choice.
    1- Keep all the laptop drivers from Dell on this partition.
    2-Or just wipe the partition, for me any partition is a waste of space.

Even if you have a partition and your hard drive blow, bye bye partition.

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would backup recovery partition or image, You may want to sell machine at a later date then you can put it back to factory settings.

5. HemdonG

HemdonG MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2014
    Hey guys, thanks alot....I have already made a backup using Dell backup and recovery(Pre-installed), but the thing is a friend of mine suggested that I should download a retail oem single language 64bit, backup my product key, and do a clean install, and later install with the oem key.
    The reason Why i am plannning to do a clean install is bcoz there is tons of registry errors, viruses and malware.