Windows 8 WebCam doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by deniz, Sep 24, 2013.

1. deniz

deniz MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2010
    i'm trying to use webcam in skype or win8 camera app but it's not working.
    the webcam led is on but instead of video picture i see black screen.
    i tryed to delete driver(21/06/2006, 6.2.9200.16420 by microsoft) installed automatically by win8 and reinstall it again after restart but still nothing.
    win8 shows that the driver was installed correctly and device manager says webcam is working properly and no need to update it.

It was OK with Windows 7.
    There is no any camera driver on Compaq website, there is only Youcam software which I installed already.

Please help

2. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Same here in 8.1. It did work. Idk why it stopped. Logitech 9000. Worked in 8.0, not in 8.1. Software installed. Still doesn't.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. deniz

deniz MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2010
    I hope we'll find a solution! I did many things to get it work but :(

4. sps

sps MDL Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Similar problem here :(
    Mine does not work with camera app neither skype...
    I've been using portable skype (from portableapps.com) and the webcam works fine

5. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Mine works in skype. Just not in the camera app from Windows Store. On 8, it worked whether I had the camera manufacture drivers/software installed or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
  7. deniz

deniz MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2010
    If I uninstall the driver, windows installs it automatically. I don't have any other driver If I remove the webcam it's installing again.

8. deniz

deniz MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2010
    I have installed Windows 7 again, same issue lol.. Looks like camera is defect?

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Are you using it with Skype ? because I also need an older Skype to use my webcam Is not supported anymore with the new Skype version !!

10. hehiro0o

hehiro0o MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2008
    I got similar issue like u. work in desktop app but not in metro app.. just uninstall webcam driver in device manager and restart.. windows will installs webcam driver automatically and fix the problems.

11. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  12. deniz

deniz MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2010
    Tested with Skype, Windows 8 Camera App, YouCam. Same issue on both: Camera led lighting but no image.

13. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I have the same issue with a Microsoft Cinema webcam. Yet the cheap creative cam built into the laptop works fine. I suspect it will take time to sort out driver issues.

But if anyone finds some other solution please don't forget to come back and tell us!

14. -=fantômas=-

-=fantômas=- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Mine Logitech Webcam 300 works with Modern UI Skype and Skype for desktop but with Camera app don't work.

15. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    For all those having issues with the modern UI apps...
    Have you guys tried uninstalling them, and re-installing them from the Windows Store?
    It could be that they are not being auto-updated since Win8.1 isn't officially out yet.

16. mydigitaldesktop

Sep 18, 2013
    I have been investigating this. I don't have a solution yet.

I think it might be a Codec issue. For Metro Apps Microsoft has replaced the normal Windows DirectShow Codec chain with Media Foundation which uses internal Microsoft Codecs.

For power efficiency, Microsoft seems to prefer doing a hand-off to the video driver when it can which makes for yet another big mess.

Windows Media Player should also default to using Media Foundation (but that can be changed unlike Metro apps) so Media Player can be a diagnostic in some cases.

Microsoft is pushing for H.264 and AAC so those are implemented internally in Media Foundation. So my hypothesis is that they "tweaked" some Codecs for 8.1 and/or offloaded more of it to crappy video drivers to produce the current mess.

Hence updating video drivers may help and also may not be of any help depending on the computer and the video formats being used.

If anyone knows of a diagnostic tool for Media Foundation, please post...

17. mydigitaldesktop

Sep 18, 2013
    Further investigation...

Fact:

There is currently no method to update codecs for Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 for any programs that directly use the Media Foundation API

This has not previously had an impact on people because almost all programs that use media on Windows will have an option to use DirectShow which has the ability to search a graph of possible codecs installed by various codec packs etc.

The Media Foundation ONLY uses codecs supplied by Microsoft.

Individual apps that use the Media Foundation can provide a hook to use their own codec but it is only available to that app.

All "Windows Store/Metro/Name of the Month for Windows App" Apps must use Media Foundation

The "native" (i.e. most compatible) video format for Media Foundation is Container: MP4, Video Codec: H.264, Audio Codec: AAC or MP3 (Surround to be added at some future point)

Speculation:

1. The additional problems that seem to be surfacing with 8.1 are possibly due to the new Skype deep integration into Windows 8.1 which means that Skype for the desktop and possible other Microsoft products for the desktop will also bypass DirectShow and exclusively use Media Foundation

2. There seems to be a stronger expectation by Microsoft that the computer will have a recent model video card and as part of extending battery life, the more efficient GPU is preferred for video rendering which at least in my single case causes Media Foundation to completely fail on my AMD 4870m laptop video.

18. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I have tried my camera with the Skype App, Skype for Desktop, and in my Logitech webcam software. All of which work. It is only the camera app that does not function. I will attempt to fix by uninstalling/reinstalling. That is if it is uninstallable.