Windows 8 Wireless issue

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Puremin0rez, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    For some reason, Windows will not auto connect to my access point whenever I boot it. I have to manually select it everytime I boot my computer. Yes, I've selected connect automatically - it simply doesn't work.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro x64 - I'm also on the latest driver for my wifi adapter. It did this with stock driver too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Is your AP using a hidden SSID? If so have you made sure the option (for connection to that SSID) is checked to connect to it automatically even when the SSID is hidden?

Also, what's the details on your WIFI adapter and your wireless router? What brands and models and revisions? Even if nothing becomes apparent with me and that info, someone else might know something. Might as well include your current motherboard brand and model/revision as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I'm having the same issue. I did not have the problem with Win 7 on the same machine. In fact I still have Win 7 on this machine but when I'm in Win 8 I have the wireless problem. Actually what happens is that the wireless adapter connects on startup and then it disconnects. Then I have to manually connect. This was a problem on all 3 of the preview versions of Win 8 and it looks like it is still a problem.

4. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    Would you mind sharing the same info I asked the OP? Might be interesting to find out if any of your hardware is the same as that of the OP's. Even though your WIFI worked fine under 7 and had the same problem under all releases of 8, it still might be helpful or pertinent.

5. Puremin0rez

Nov 24, 2010
    It's not hidden at all. I am using an RaLink wireless adapter. I have a NetGear router - although that's not the issue, My laptops do NOT have this issue. I have a Gigabyte motherboard. This did NOT happen in Windows 7.

That is my EXACT issue.

I have temporarily worked around it by making a batch file that launches at startup that issues the following command (there is still a short delay of no wifi though):
    netsh wlan connect name="your ssid here"

6. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    #6 roirraW "edor" ehT, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    I was already sure it wasn't a hardware issue, but sometimes it's a specific (or a range of specific) combination of both particular hardware and software (both drivers and the OS). Without the particular brands (RaLink is a chipset manufacturer, not the maker of your WIFI card) and models, it's difficult to find out if this is what's happening. Finding out if this is so might be helpful in the future determining the permanent solution to the problem.

I have a wireless adapter that uses a RaLink chipset and I don't have the problem, but specifically mine is an Edimax (okay so I'm lazy and don't feel like getting the model number from the box), but you get the idea. :D I also have another desktop with a Gigabyte motherboard, but it's improbable if using this wireless card with it would reproduce the same error either.

I or others might not be able to help you in a hurry with the rest of the info, but in the long term it could help.

Nice workaround, BTW. Question: where do you have this Batch file start from? If it's from the Startup folder that could be the reason for your delay since Windows 8 purposely delays launching the programs there, and delays in between separate ones in the folder as well, to reduce resource thrashing, I'm sure. Are you familiar with how to create a scheduled task to run at Logon, which will run immediately instead?

7. Puremin0rez

Nov 24, 2010
    The specific wifi adapter is "PremierTek Speed2" - I tried linking it but my post count isn't high enough.

I am using the Local Group Policy editor and have it in the logon script area. Is there something I can do to have it startup sooner/faster?

Also I never knew about the intentional delay. Was this existent in Windows 7? It feels like my programs start slower on windows 8. I'm on an SSD.

8. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
  9. Gaius

Gaius MDL Novice

May 17, 2011
    Having this problem with a laptop running an Intel 4965agn card and Windows 8 Release Preview. It will connect fine at startup and then just stop connecting like an hour later while all of my other devices connect just fine. I had to solve the problem by using an Atheros USB adapter, which doesn't have this problem. I chalked it up to Intel not having any Windows 8 drivers though.

10. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    Just to be clear, that's not exactly the same problem. But thank you for the info.

11. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Good morning, I just got back on line since yesterday. My motherboard is an ASUS P7H55 with latest bios update. My router is a D-link DIR-655 and my computer's adapter is a D-Link DWA-160 A2 usb adapter. As I mentioned, I dual boot with windows 7 so I am using the same hardware in both Windows 7 and Windows 8. I've never had this problem of connecting and then disconnecting with Windows 7 but I have had it with all of the versions of Windows 8 that I've tried. And yes, I have set the connection to connect automatically. It does connect and then it disconnects so I have to manually connect it. Then it stays connected until I reboot.

12. Puremin0rez

Nov 24, 2010
    Thanks, it connects alot faster now.

But... if the Task Scheduler is not affected by the delay, couldn't i just throw all of my startup programs into there?! - I'm joking, the delay isn't that bad :p

Thanks for continued support.

13. ViperMatrixXM

ViperMatrixXM MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    I thought I would sign up so I could comment on this bug. I also have this problem. I was actually unable to connect to Wi-Fi when CP released as there were no drivers for it till now. It just never saves the info and I don't see where there is a "Manage Wireless Networks" as that has disappeared but when I enter my info and YES it's hidden. It just shows a 2 or 3 or what not # next to it with the original name there as well. I have the same D-Link DIR-655 Router (B Firmware Revision) and a Atheros AR5008x chipset in a TD-Link N 300 (TL-WN951N). I am also seeing a 130Mbps connection bug on mine as it usually says 300Mbps as the connection rate and 10-15Mbps of speed difference is missing. I just hope they have this fixed before Oct. 26 because Windows 7 is sure looking good right now.

14. stupidog40

stupidog40 MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2011
    same problem here. On Dell Vostro 3700--so seems the wireless bug was not addressed in these RTM's? will wait for Oct then? o_O

15. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    Yes, you could (seriously) for any that are important to you to start with no delay. I don't bother for anything most of the time, unless there's something that requires UAC. You could also do like I suggested recently to someone else here in another thread which is just to add to the batch file all the Startup items they want, instead of a creating separate scheduled tasks for each program.

You're welcome, glad it's faster. Hopefully there'll be a long term solution eventually.

16. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    Did you try what I was suggesting before about checking the box to connect automatically with hidden SSIDs? Left click on the wireless icon in the notification tray, right-click your (already connected) "hidden" WIFI and choose View Connection Properties. On the Connection tab, checkmark the third box "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name (SSID)." This box may already be checked, just worth finding out for sure.

17. ViperMatrixXM

ViperMatrixXM MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    Yes that is checked and I always make sure it is and i've installed every edition and don't get a Wireless setup screen in Windows Setup. But i've seen screenshots for that screen being in the setup so i'm stuck connecting to a local account before I can transfer to a Microsoft Account. Also after I decided to install Windows Media Center in Pro my Wireless icon had turned into a network cable connected one which I thought was strange I ended up fixing that by disconnecting and reconnecting to the network.

18. Puremin0rez

Nov 24, 2010
    Hello all,

I have finally got it working!

I have grabbed the latest driver from ralinks website instead of my manufacturer website (the one on Ralinks site is months newer)

I have used this site to get the proper driver (which is the very first one for my adapter):
    h x x p: / / w w w.ralinktech. c o m/en/04_support/support.php?sn=500

The Win7 one worked perfect without compatibility modes or anything.

Thank you all for the support and if this still doesn't solve it for you others, please check out my work around on page one. It works good too!

19. racky29

racky29 MDL Senior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    im also having issues with windows 8 network dropping out / disconnecting
    takes ages to reconnect itself, or have to manually reconnect
    and signal strength is full
    seems to be a windows 8 issue or driver issue, cos the same hardware was ok on windows 7
    so the only difference is the driver and windows 8

hardware:
    router..........: Netgear WGR614v10
    networ card..: TP-Link WN651G - (reported as Atheros AR5005gs chipset)
    Driver..........: Qualcomm Atheros AR5005GS Wireless Network Adapter
    driver ver.....: 3.0.0.130 - (issued automatically with windows 8)
    driver date...: 03/07/2012
    hardware id..: PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013&SUBSYS_2051168C&REV_01

20. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    Ah! I always go directly to the chipset manufacturer's website whenever possible to get the latest drivers. I only go to the motherboard or other hardware manufacturer website as a last resort. Station-drivers is also a good (French) website for finding drivers and firmware upgrades you cant find elsewhere.

Glad you found the permanent solution.