Windows 8 X64 Installation (neither "Pro" nor "Enterprise")

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by LeakHunter, Aug 7, 2012.

1. LeakHunter

LeakHunter MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    Can I use any leaked image to Install windows 8 X64 which is neither Pro nor Enterprise?
    If yes, how?

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Do you mean, can you use any leaked image to install a version of Windows 8 x64 which is both not Win 8 Pro and not Win 8 Enterprise? If so, you can delete the ei.cfg file (search here or Google some instructions) from the Windows 8 Pro x64 Retail DVD and it'll then ask you which version to install, and AFAIK, there is only one other version, which is Core.

If this isn't what you mean, what do you mean? If it is what you mean, just curious why you wouldn't want to install the Pro or Enterprise versions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. VelleX

VelleX MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    #3 VelleX, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Just tried in Windows itself, but the Leaked Windows 8 Pro images do not have a ei.cfg and do not ask which Edition to install.
    But if you add an file "ei.cfg" with this content, you will be asked:
    Code:
    [Channel]
    Retail

[VL]

4. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    #4 roirraW "edor" ehT, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I knew it was something like that, lol, it's been a while since I bothered fooling with the ei.cfg file. :) Thanks for the correction.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. plnet

plnet MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2012
    #5 plnet, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
    There is indeed no ei.cfg in Win8 images, but I've used Win8 Pro image and entered the Win8 core key during setup (see the sticky topic called "Windows 8 ISO guide" for that key) and this got me installed a Win8 core :) this is just like in Vista times, the Windows edition is selected by the setup depending on the key you enter
    the only trouble is, there's no Volume key for Win8 core, so cannot use KMS activation as of now

6. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    When does the Windows 8 RTM installation DVD ask for a key? It never asked me for one.

7. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    the Pro version ask for keys:D

8. roirraW "edor" ehT

Sep 1, 2007
    I need to go back to bed and get more sleep! :D