Windows 9 - Here we come!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by randyored, Aug 22, 2012.

1. randyored

randyored MDL Junior Member

May 8, 2007
    Business will pass on it, consumers will hate it. Windows 8 is doomed. Business will wait until Windows 9. Consumer purchases (including PCs) will be very sluggish.

How to avert this? I hope MS has a start menu Windows 8 SP1 ready.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

To avert means not to buy and install, easy. Not sure if w9 will get better, though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #3 Mr Jinje, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    No company upgrades to an OS until after SP1 anyways, many places are still in process of uptake on 7. On the other hand, sales will be through the roof as companies are forced to buy Windows 8 license's with every new machine, then pay again for rights to run 7 via software assurance downgrade.

Most people probably didn't know companies get stuck buying two licenses for every machine they deploy.

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Although I am not too enthused about win 8, the above is too much of a definitive statement that makes me feel that I am reading the words of a pompous ...
    How does lack of success of win 8 as you claim lead to sluggish PC sales. Can you specify the cause and effect direction. Win 8 to PC sales or PC sales to win 8.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

I guess he refers to preinstalled PCs that come with w8 preinstalled. And he assumes the one thinks w8 is a PITA to use.

The sad thing of the entire story is: No matter if w8 becomes a success or not, step by step we (the end user) will be forced to use future M$ OSes. If not w8 then it must be w9.

M$ knows that and can stay relaxed. I have talked to a M$ EU employee saying many of M$ employees are not convinced of the w8 concept that comes from Redmond, but they can count on their monopoly...so nothing to be worried from the POV of M$....

It is actually a fact that makes me upset...

6. randyored

randyored MDL Junior Member

May 8, 2007
    Oh maybe being in the IT department for a Fortune 17 company with external contacts. Also, a MS OS beta tester since Win95. Smells like WinME/Vista.... Should have seen the beta feedback for these doomed releases.

PC's with Win8 will scare consumers away (Power users may still buy). PC sales with Win7 may actually jump up until MS stops issuing Win7 OEM licenses.

But hey, it's all good!

7. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Why should people really upgrade there pc os, they mostly all have touchscreen devices, and loads of us still like keyboard and mouse windows.

Ms really needed to be first to touchscreen to get the foothold it wanted. There are too many choices now for the dumbed down os that is needed for touchscreen.

Personally i was excited by windows 7 launch, do not care one bit for win8(have not downlaoded it yet, and maybe will not till sp1) as i have touchscreen devices already. Plus i mostly use my keyboard and mouse windows desktop, hardly use my touchscreen devices.

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #8 acyuta, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    Frankly, I have installed win 8 in a physical machine but went back to my backed up win 7 within 4 hours. This happened on beta, RP, and most recently on RTM.
    Metro is largely useless for me except that it looks good and opens apps that are hard to close. Plus most icons on metro jump to desktop so whats the need.

From my usage, it seems that win 8 is basically catch up of software to the hardware updates since win 7 was released in 2009. I am not sure that win 7 sp2 (already overdue) will ever address these issues, and MS obviously may not want too. Finally for MS, a new PC usually requires a new OS, and as long as that OS is MS (XP/VISTA/7 or whatever MS), how does it matter. MS makes money through software and that software must be MS.

If it is refresh and restore, I would hardly trust that to be my backup solution. Pretty bad experience with win 7 backup and conversely, excellent results with free acronis that is downloadable for WD, Seagate and many others.
    Win 7 software too can be made to catch up with hardware with driver installs. So what new is MS bringing to the table except update win 7 and make it worse for me in the end result.

9. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    since microsoft has removed start button and start menu from windows 8, i see no chance to get the back in future windows versions. forget them. if microsoft wanted to add them, they could already have added them to windows 8 rtm after getting huge bad response from blogs and forums.

10. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    #10 Computers Plus, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    It was an unnecessary move for Microsoft to do Windows 8 in the fashion they did, they should just try to make a great mobile OS for mobile devices and just try to improve upon Windows 7

If they would have just carried over the improvements they did manage to make in Windows 8 like the new task manager and better multi monitor support combined with improved security and IE10 into a new flavor of Windows 7 like a Windows 7.1 that would have been a killer two great OS's for them in a row but trying to bring touch to the desktop is just not needed the desktop user is not going to spend the day tapping the screen my arm gets tired with a mouse I can't imagine holding my arm up to the screen all day tapping on it holly cow!!

I do believe that Windows 8 will make people look at OS X and Linux as a alternate choice and with Steam porting to Linux now Linux's future could be interesting if other software vendors follow suite and start to port their software to Linux you will see more people adopt it that's the biggest thing holding Linux back if the software vendors do this so shall hardware vendors with better driver support .

Steam ported Left For Dead 2 to Linux and had over a 40% improvement in FPS over the Windows version I mean wow!!

11. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    I totally agree with Computers Plus. I've got Linux running here as a server OS and it is awesome. I haven't installed Linux on my desktops because I like the odd game once in a while, and besides that a lot of other things wouldn't run on Linux.
    If more software becomes available for Linux people will start to use it on the desktop, I'll be one of them.
    As far as Windows 8, horrible this "modern ui" stuff, needed some workarounds (classic shell) but other than that, there are a number of improvements on W8 that are worth it. Nevertheless, I hope W8 will be the last Microsoft OS I'm using.

Cheers.

12. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I hope in the next version of Windoze M$ will be aware that desktop PC users have a mouse attached (or wireless) to their computer and make use of the back/forward buttons to navigate without entering keyboard shortcuts!! The extra keystrokes are truly "immersive" :D

13. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Don't know what people are complaining about, the new Windows 8 GUI is brilliant! [/SARCASM] ;)

14. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Yes hopefully Windows 8 is the kick in the backside that people need to switch OSes but Mac is not an alternative.
    Linux or Android are more viable, Mac is a locked down PoS like Windows.

15. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Mac has way more software available that is normally native to Windows then compared to Linux and I agree I would rather see Linux have more market share but there are a lot of issues that surround Linux that hold it back but I will save that discussion for another time lol...

16. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    This is a great opening for Apple. They could advertise that if you have to learn a new OS (Windows 8) why not switch to OS X and have phone, ipad, etc. with similar interface. Mac has all of the software that people use. Linux is still behind unless somebody could get a really slick Wine tool.

17. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    You know this is what Microsoft did... got the phone and xbox interfaces on Windows... I don't know what's all this fuss about :) Windows 8 works great for me on a desktop... I've never had problems with it when it comes to using it. It's fast, fluid, and easy to use. Learn what? All you need to do is hover in the corners and you have everything you need on it! It won't take more than 10 minutes to learn these things...