Windows Activation Problem After Restoring Image

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by syga, Jul 28, 2018.

1. syga

syga MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    #1 syga, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Hello all,

I originally installed Windows 10 a few years back from Windows 7, during the free upgrade program.

Recently, I used Macrium Reflect to restore a Windows 10 Pro image. It went from Windows version 1803 back to 1703? After that, I lost my Windows activation. There was no hardware change and no Microsoft account name change. I tried googling the problem but failed. I kept getting error code 0xC004F034. Tried calling Microsoft, they said I need to buy a new key.

I know that MTK would have worked at the end, but since the system was previously activated the Microsoft way, I thought that there was something else screwy.

I let 1703 update itself back to 1803, which took at least 1 hour. It activated itself during the update and everything is working fine again.

Question: Is there anyway to backup and restore the the digital license, so this doesn't happen again restoring an image?

Thanks.

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    It cannot be backed up locally,that's why it is called digital license.It seems to be an issue with macrium so better check their support forum.