Windows as an AirPlay host?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Myrrh, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I'm replacing an old Apple TV 2nd generation with a Lenovo compute stick pc running Windows 10.

Overall it's better for local media streaming (Apple TV had to be jailbroken and loaded with Kodi to accomplish this, PC can just connect directly to network shares). The one thing the Apple TV did that the PC doesn't do is AirPlay for people with Apple devices.

Any suggestions as to a good, simple software I can install on the PC to do AirPlay? Preferably free or low-cost. Most of the searches I have done have come back with stuff to make the PC an AirPlay client and output to the Apple TV, I want it to be a host to replace it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    AirServer looks like a good one. You have personal experience with it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I don't, no, just searched for something that met the requirements you were looking for and came across that

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    AirServer is great (from personal experience)

5. Williams Reus

Williams Reus MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2016
    5 Best Airplay Receivers for PC Windows 7/8/8.1/10 to Use Windows as Apple :
    1. Lonely Screen AirPlay Receiver for PC
    2. Kodi or XMBC AirPlay Receiver for PC
    3. 5K player AirPlay Receiver for PC
    4. Mirroring 360 AirPlay Receiver for PC
    5. Shairport4w AirPlay Receiver for PC