'Windows Boot Application' .efi information

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by netham45, Aug 15, 2016.

1. netham45

netham45 MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    #1 netham45, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Hi, I'm looking for any information I can find on the .efis that bootmgr loads. The recent policy leak for SecureBoot has allowed bootmgr to load custom images from bootmgr (sadly the signature enforcement is still in place for normal .efis ), and I am looking for a way to create a PE I can load from there to (hopefully) load grub. For now I'm aiming for a Hello World.

Where I'm at: The PEs that bootmgr runs have a different subsystem (0x10 vs. 0x0A) and the entrypoint uses a different prototype. If I fix these two things up I can create an image that loads then instantly kicks me back to the bootmgr menu, but doing any EFI call results in a hang. I'm sure there's something massive I'm missing but I can't figure out what.

I'm hoping for any and all information I can find on the applications. All I presently have to go off of is the half-implemented bootmgr from ReactOS and what cdb can tell me, and it's not going too well.

Apologies if this isn't the appropriate subforum, it was the closest I could see.

2. netham45

netham45 MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2010
    #3 netham45, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    (OP)
    It removes all restrictions, I can enable debugging. I just don't have a debugger cable right now. That's part of the reason it's been so difficult, I've been flying blind. All I can tell is what crashes and doesn't. Since I'm running right on the chip there's no dumps either, it's just a hard freeze.