Windows Chkdsk problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Jefm, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Jefm

Jefm MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    Hello everybody,
    every time a new OS comes out, I make a new installation on another hard disk and I use my system as dual boot but I choose the disk with the OS I want to boot from Bios not with a boot loader.
    This is what I did with windows 10 and now I have a dual OS system with Windows 7 64 and Windows 10 64
    The weird problem I have, is that every time I boot as usual, this means from the hard disk with Windows 7 64, system prompts me to check the Hard disk (chkdsk) with Windows 10 and it always find problems that corrects but what it really does, is corrupting the Windows 10 installation disk so much that I had to reinstall Windows 10. It can boot to Windows 10 but It needs repair with Windows 10 scan disk and after the repair is unusable.....
    It seems there is a incompatibility with ntfs structure of windows 10 and 7 ????????
    I made the same thing 3 times so I am sure it is not a coincidence.
    I also think that if I boot from the win 10 hard disk, it corrupts the win 7 hard disk but in a way that can be fixed in the next windows 7 boot with scan disk before entering OS. This happened only once and did not tried again because I do not want to reinstall windows 7 if something goes very wrong.
    Any ideas?:p

2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #2 odiebugs1, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    After one upgrade, win 10 did the same at each boot, after a clean install it stopped. Now that you have a upgrade you can run a clean 10 install and shouldn't be too bad, as long as you haven't installed all of your soft.

Actually, most all times this has happened over the years, it's never been a bad drive or sectors, so it's the reason I suggested to reinstall.

3. Slamtilt

Slamtilt MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2014
    #3 Slamtilt, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Would it help if the two OS drives did not see each other? Boot Win 7, go into disk management, remove the drive letter for your Win 10 OS disk. Remove the Win 7 drive letter the next time you run Win 10. Can anyone comment on this option?

Or could this totally screw up your dual boot setup just noticed not using a boot loader.

4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I believe that dual is written to win 7 MBR, so if it can't be seen it would see no boot drive.

5. ville96

ville96 MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2015
    Google "windows 8 volume compatibility" (can't post links)
    Same applies to Windows 10. Disable fast startup from Windows 10 power options if you dual boot like this.

6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    You have to disable the hybrid shutdown on W8 or W10 to avoid the annoying checkdisk thing.

7. Jefm

Jefm MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    It is a clean install

Well the idea is to see both disks so I can move files app settings etc

No during the install, only one hard disk was plagued to my pc (what you said happened to me once many years ago and I learned my lesson)

I will check your suggestions
    Thank you all

8. schlypy

schlypy MDL Novice

May 23, 2018
    after 3 years i'm bumping this thread :), has someone maybe found the solution on this matter?
    I've made temp "solution" increasing the AutoChkTimeOut to 300. So 5 minutes to press the key to skip chkdsk:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\AutoChkTimeOut

I did it in both systems, because the problem is vice-versa.

In Win7, if I can remember correctly, by default it is set to 8sec, in Win10 10sec. If it goes with chkdsk then I get the problem
    which Jefm described in his first post aswell.