Windows Defender Issues as of late

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bcsman, Feb 18, 2018.

1. bcsman

bcsman MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2015
    #1 bcsman, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Has anyone had any problems in the last month or so updating Defender definitions on their Win 7 drives? I keep getting errors on 2 different drives, also a new Win 7 install. Has MS maybe dumped Defender so it can't be updated anymore? The normal Windows updates are working fine, it's just Defender. Also must note I have downloaded the manual definition update file and still no love.

I have an Ultimate and an Enterprise version that are having these issues.

2. Oswego97

Oswego97 MDL Novice

May 9, 2016
    Working fine here with Enterprise - last update yesterday.

3. bcsman

bcsman MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2015
    Weird, I have tried downloading from MS a fix for Defender and a couple other Windows fix and repair programs but nothing helps. So I just went into Services and disabled Defender. I know for Windows 7 it isn't much of a program anyhow. I do have 2 other computers with Win 7 on them and Defender updates fine. This one is a very old AMD Athlon computer so maybe its just too old to work anymore. I did download and install Panda Free and it is working fine so I will leave it at that.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Afaik, Win 7/8 will get a defender update, it will be the same for all windows editions.

5. bcsman

bcsman MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2015
    I was hoping after my new Win 7 install there was a newer version of Defender I could download but it doesnt look that way. Sometimes older versions of software wont update unless the newer version is installed. As I said no problem, just shut off Defender and installed Panda Free, just very odd behavior, only on that one computer I have, the rest work fine....