Windows Defender scheduled task set up, but keeps saying it needs to scan?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by donalgodon, Nov 7, 2016.

1. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I have set up a Windows Defender scheduled task and set it to execute 1 time per day at 3:30 PM, but keeps saying it needs to scan and that my system is "potentially unprotected" that it's been some time since my last scan. Is 1x per 24 hours not enough?

2. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Do you use Ccleaner daily or clean temps by some other way daily ?

3. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I use Wisecare 365 set to daily scan and remove temps, etc., but not at the same time. It's not a virus protection software. Do you think that they are interfering in some way?

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    You may think that I am not answering your question, but actually the best you can do is switch from the weak Windows Defender to a much superior free antivirus, such as AVIRA, AVAST or AVG. WD consistently lands at the bottom of protection tests. As soon as you install a third party antivirus, WD will turn itself off automatically.

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Propaganda for so called payed AV i call it realy BS In fact those AV all depend on the definition files they use and never catch an new launched virus so how superior is that ;)

Ps May i quote PD all Snake Oil :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. remco8264

remco8264 MDL Junior Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Don't know about Wisecare, but Ccleaner removes the files that tell Defender when the last scan was run. You can disable it in the settings. It may be the same for Wisecare.

7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    @ endbase

Not knowing if you’re serious or trying to pull some kind of “joke”, I’ll refrain at this stage from using the word BS and even try to address the “points” raised, though I doubt it’s worth my effort.

You talk about “payed AV” while I said “free antivirus”. A simple matter of reading correctly.

Windows Defender also uses definition files, and it’s the accepted method proven effective.

Wrong again. These tools also use heuristic methods to catch many zero day viruses.

It’s a no-brainer that some products can be superior than others, and there are innumerable comparison tests that show the good ones to knowledgeable users. And it's certainly far better than not using an antivirus at all.

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Good for you man thx for the time to eleborate on your point of view I appreciate that for me tho all AV is an no brainer I don't use them and never will I use my own Brain for that :tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Fair enough, opinion fully respected.

@Bat
    I only run CCleaner every 2 months, but never had any interaction with my antivirus (AVIRA). After all, CCleaner is not an antivirus.
    I was using Malwarbytes online on my old XP, but turned it off, as it kept blocking sites for no apparent reason. Didn't suffer any adverse effects after turning it off, and haven't bothered to install it in Window 10 (yet). But there's a free version you can use for occasional scanning.