Windows drive is locked

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by WardocsRevenge, Nov 17, 2014.

1. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    So when trying to install windows 10 i already need to use my laptop and switch out ssd's now or else i can not install UEFI and it always says can not continue to next stage of install and if i try and refresh it says Windows Drive is locked which it's not so little help

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I had a "drive locked" issue when trying to install on a laptop. I think I got it from a forced (unclean) shutdown. This left the NTFS 'dirty'. I removed the drive and booted the laptop from a good Windows 7 drive. I then connected the damaged drive via an external USB enclosure and ran CHKDSK on it. It found errors and fixed them. I swapped drives and was then able to install W10 TP.

3. asdqwe876

asdqwe876 MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2013
    diskpart->clean,then everything is ok.
    the advantage for uefi,but most people don't understand.:biggrin:

4. WardocsRevenge

Jan 13, 2012
    i tried all of that still having issues

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    If the diskpart "clean" command failed, then I suspect the disk has failed. If it was successful, then I am at a loss. Does anyone else have access to the laptop? Any chance it has been locked via the bios or security software?

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #6 pisthai, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    To unlock a drive you may need to run the Bootrec Command:
    open a Command Prompt as Administrator
    • type: bootrec /fixMBR [enter]
    • type: bootrec /fixBoot [enter]
    • type: bootrec /rebuildBCD [enter]
    • reboot the computer

The BootRec Failure is mainly because of an damaged bootrecord of the HDD. Best way to do that is to boot the computer from from ISO and use the Repair function.

7. Ricardo41

Ricardo41 MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2011
    had an ssd locked. booted up hirens boot xp. reset attribuites and forrmated it. did the job

8. WardocsRevenge

Jan 13, 2012
    you are sure that will fix it and will work for uefi ?

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I had same problem once and it worked for me. You just have to test and find out!

10. sark11

sark11 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2012
    my western digital 1 tb hard disk during up gradation from build no 9860 to 9879 shows 0200 failure fixed disk 1.
    press f1 to resume or f2 to set up, what can i do ?????

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you press F1 it will try to upgrade again, if you use F2 it will go to an new setup of windows, which I personal prefer all times.

12. sark11

sark11 MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2012
    after pressing f1 nothing happens no progress,just showed a black blinking screen and on pressing f2 it enters boot menu of bios setup .so even after choosing booting preference for optical disk drive or usb flash drive the same error screen appears showing failure fix disk 1

13. WardocsRevenge

Jan 13, 2012
    sorry it failed i am thinking it's my mobo

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    what? most likely the HDD, no?

15. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Since the upgrade was from to 9789, and 9789 makes a Windows.old it does lock the HDD, same as when may backup program lock the HDD to make a backup.
    you can try this
    Try opening the control panel, go to the security & systems tab,
    then go to the "create and format Hard disk partitions". They usually show up there "unallocated". Proceed to partition and format.
    Some drives setup with a different OS or brand seem to have that problem but they always worked.
    or
    Another "fix" is to try using Ubuntu to "secure Erase". Some times the drives get "frozen" and need to be "not frozen"
    or
    insert a common back up and recovery disk... let it it start to backup then click cancel - then let it do the reboot, it will unlock that way also.
    I have use all the methods.

16. WardocsRevenge

Jan 13, 2012
    i don't upgrade that breaks everything i always do a fresh install and i am forced to use my laptop to install it on my SSD and thats also how i know it's my mobo it works on my laptop when install but not my desktop

17. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    There's a minimum chance your sata cable was the culprit. At least switch to any other available port on the mobo.

18. WardocsRevenge

Jan 13, 2012
    i replaced them all last week with red and back ones to more suit the colors of the build so that wasnt the issues i also upgraded the firmware of the ssd i nuked the bios which didnt work and it's the mobo i just put in a z77x-ud5h and everything works again

19. WardocsRevenge

Jan 13, 2012
    the issues is fixed by replacing the motherboard don't worry also i use rufus to make a uefi usb of windows 10