Windows Exp stops working

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ThomasMann, Jul 22, 2016.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    In the past few weeks sometimes Windows explorer stops working, the info I get:

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

What should I check?

Thanks

2. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Try sfc /scannow (on a admin cmd).

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    THanks, but...

Had done that, twice.

What PRECISELY does that mean? The Win 7 installation is not at fault?

4. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    The command only confirms that the system files are intact. If they are corrupted, it replaces them with the original files.

Sometimes this happens. Whether by unresolved uninstalls, lockups or reboots abrupt.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Appzalien

Appzalien MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2011
    I would think that if the system file checker finds nothing then it's not a system file that causes the problem but an installed program. If nothing else is open at the time, there are still certain drivers or applications that could be at fault. Video drivers create the windows, antivirus can run in the background as well as any third party firewall. It's Sherlock Holmes time. Have you installed anything new recently?

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    As there is nothing really new and necessary around, I did not. If I remember correctly, I did move around some videos that day, from SSD to HDD. But it also happened on another occasion....

Well, it has not happened again for about two weeks, maybe whatever it was has relaxed....
    I asked because I wanted to know if this a somewhat common problem with a well-known cause....

So, thank you all.

7. keepcalmandrise

keepcalmandrise MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2016
    I've had this problem before, and it was because my hard disk was failing, and it was causing it to mess up my paging files to my RAM. try a CHKDSK /F if it continues after running that (depending on how large the drive is, it could take a long time) then I would start looking for a new drive since there's nothing found with SFC.

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    No, both of them at 100%....

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Sometimes an ActiveX control (An Explorer shell extension) gets corrupted or has its' entry in HKCR scrambled. (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT in the registry)

The result usually is the Windows Explorer crashing unexpectedly,

Try running some kind of registry cleaner / checker.

SFC would find a corrupted file, but the association in HKCR is what the Explorer uses to load the extension.

I hope this helps you.