Windows Experience Index decreased after upgrading from WIN 7 Ultimate to WIN 7 SP1

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by newtomlf, Feb 4, 2011.

1. newtomlf

newtomlf MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    I switched from removewat to Daz loader 1.9.6 yesterday. I upgraded my windows 7 ultimate (Toshiba Satellite C655-S5061) to windows 7 ultimate sp1 today. I used Daz loader again after sp1 installation to prevent activation problems. Windows compatibility report presented me to upgrade Toshiba Firmware Linkage Driver before installing SP1 which I ignored. I went to manufacturer's site to upgrade firmware driver to new version after the SP1 upgrade but I could not find any such driver on the site.

My Windows experience index before upgrade was 4.6; now it is 4.5 (I ran the test multiple times). What could be the possible reason for the decrease? Will this effect my system performance in any way?

Thanks.

2. Shoonay

Shoonay MDL Member

Jan 28, 2010
    WEI's score means absolutely *NOTHING* in terms of the actual performance of your PC, it shows how your PC matches to the currently available high-end hardware.
    In other words, it will get smaller and smaller with time, depending on new hardware being released, not your PC getting slower.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Heidegger

Heidegger MDL Member

Mar 17, 2008
    What is your lowest score? Memory, Graphics, Disk? Do you have a SSD?

4. newtomlf

newtomlf MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    @Heidegger
    My score:

Processor: 6.7

RAM: 5.9

Graphics: 4.5

Gaming
    Graphics: 5.1

Primary HDD
    data transfer rate: 5.7

If by SSD you mean secondary storage device, I didn't have one when I ran the test.

Thanks.

@Shoonay
    Thanks for the info.

5. China4Ever

China4Ever Bios Mod.

Apr 25, 2007
    Do this, go to Performance directory under C:\WINDOWS, subdir WinSat\DataStore and delete
    everything inside it.

Open an elevated command prompt and type this : "winsat formal -restart" (withous quotes)
    at the end go on system properties and check again experience index number. ;)

6. bala_digital

bala_digital MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    update your graphics driver from the default one provided in windows , it will boost your graphics score :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. newtomlf

newtomlf MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    @ China4Ever
    That took my WEI back to start(4.6). Thanks.

8. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Um, 0.1 is within the range of random discrepancies. For example, if, during the test, you move the mouse extra times, thus causing more graphics activity, that could affect the score. If it dropped by 0.5, then you should worry. Changes of 0.1 mean nothing.

Incorrect.

Do your research before stating nonsense. The score is stable and will never degrade over time (unless your hardware physically degrades; e.g., increased internal seek or read error rates slowing down your HDD as it ages). As new high-end hardware is released, the maximum possible score increases.