Windows Explorer crashes and restarting frequently in Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bambamtusa, Dec 6, 2013.

1. bambamtusa

bambamtusa MDL Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Hello MDL experts,

I'm using Windows 8.1 Single Language x64 with OEM license of my new laptop. Thing is, explorer.exe crashes and restarting almost every once an hour. I checked Event Viewer and couldn't find what's causing to this problem.

Could you guys help me please?

Ekran-2013.12.06_16h40m02s_001_Dosya Gezgini- explorer-exe - Uygulama Hatası.png

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Have you uninstalled bloatware? Maybe some corrupt files are causing your trouble. If all else fails then I would go for a refresh.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I had explorer crashes on Windows 8.1 as well. It turned out to be my memory. I had the same memory from Windows 7 through Windows 8 and never experienced an issue. When 8.1 came along, I started having frequent explorer crashes. My memory passed integrity checks, so I didn't suspect it. However, someone gave me a gift certificate from NewEgg and I upgraded from 4gb dual channel ddr3 to 8gb dual channel. Since then, I've not had a single explorer crash. I'm not saying that's your issue, but it might be something to consider.

Best Regards,

C

4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    I would try sfc -scannow for starters

5. bambamtusa

bambamtusa MDL Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Thank you pun, it was clean install and hadn't bloatware.

Thank you Belarathon, it's a (almost) brand new laptop (6 months old) with 8 GB RAM and i5 processor.

Thank you anarchist9027, tried but didn't solved.

6. faizanfateh

faizanfateh MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2013
    Do you get any error message displayed on the screen when explorer crashes? Or any Error Code? If yes, mention it here.

For the time being,
    I would recommend you to go through this link featuring several solutions to resolve the file explorer crashes !!

registryrecycler.com/blog/2013/11/file-explorer-crashes-in-windows-8-1-fix-it/

Hope it helps..;.

7. bambamtusa

bambamtusa MDL Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Thank you faizanfateh, i'll try that link.