Windows Explorer has stopped working......

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hannibal Lecter, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Hello,
    I might have captured myself a virus that seems to stop Windows Explorer from functioning.
    I am using Windows 7 Ultimate with the Daz Loader for some months without a problem now. Now there is a pop up I the middle of the screen telling me Explorer has stopped working, and if I want Windows to try to repair it. When I click this, the computer reloads the desktop after a few seconds and another second later, the same pop up returns and so on ad infinitum. This retry button in that pop up is the only thing that will react at all to a mouse click. Switching off the computer has to be done by pulling the plug out. I can restart the computer in safe mode and the first thing I find is that my Avast Anti Vir Software has been disabled and cannot be stared again. So, on another computer I downloaded and then burned the Avir Rescue CD… and it finds nothing except old stuff, that has been on the computer for ages and is false positive….

What can I do next, please?

Thanks HL

:confused::confused::confused:

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    try to repair WIN 7 but booting from a DVD OR CD/

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Download free MBAM and run a scan with it, let it clean whatever it finds.

4. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010

The computer does not react to anything, except the button on the explorer...... I can boot from a CD, will any CD with Windows 7 work for this? LIke the one downloaded from the repository here?

5. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    I have Mbam on the computer, but as I wrote, I cannot access anything... I cannot even turn it off, other than by unplugging the whole thing....

6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    use the same one u downloaded. If you dont have much going on in the pc start fresh.
    MBAM may help you out, see if you can run it.

ok if you cant run anything, then repair. if not,worst case scenario will be you now what,lol
    format

7. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Can you boot into safe mode? If yes, run MBAM in safe mode.

To get to safe mode, you need to tap F8 repeatedly at boot.

8. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    if it can't find anything, run panda activescan... I used it before where mbam couldn't find everything while in XP... managed to kill the rootkit that way (I think)

9. netmaniack

netmaniack MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Scans and "heals" might not work, because virus can damage exe real hard. So I think that repair (file replase) is the best option.

10. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
  11. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    My psychic debugging powers tell me that you have DivX installed. I don't use DivX, so I'm not entirely sure what all the components do, but my guess is that there is a DivX shell extension, probably a file property handler (so that when you click on a file, Explorer can display information about it, and if you are in thumbnail mode, Explorer can decode the file and give you a thumbnail preview), and since those sorts of things are loaded as in-process DLLs, if they have a crashing bug, they bring down the host application (in this case, Explorer).

You know, the crash report is quite informative.

Anyway, get rid of DivX. You don't need that crap on Windows 7 because Win7 already includes a built-in decoder for MPEG4 ASP/AVC.

12. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    if you can even get into safe mode, run msconfig to disable all the non MS garbage just to see if explorer is working again... just as a test ;)
    or just delete the divx files directly and see what happens

13. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #13 Hannibal Lecter, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    (OP)
    The only non MS is Avast, my anti-vir program. Accordiung to the msconfig it is clicked for running, but it has actually stopped.... also stopped is the MS security center... both cannot be started.

How do I delete the divx files, or, where do I find them? I have only one single movie in divx on the computer and that one is there since May 2010....

But I found something else... Windows Media Player will no longer open.. A movie file plays withpt a problem in vlc but if I try the same file in Media Player, I get another error notification: "Server Execution failed"

14. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    isn't your report showing where they are?

15. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Look... it is 2.30 in the morning here in Tokyo..... can you simply answer the question, instead of telling me what an idiot I am??
    If I would know, then I would not ask, would I?

16. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    #16 Hannibal Lecter, Jan 28, 2011
    (OP)
    How do I get rid of divx..... if it is not installed.

17. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Did u dowload i a codec pack that includes it? that is what I would ask my self...i am also thiking win 7 mgr may help you out with extensions, just shooting in the dark here..

18. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Since you obviously installed this as a part of a codec pack instead of from the standalone package, open up an elevated command prompt. Type:
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Win7codecs\filters\DivXMFSource.dll"

Or you could just ditch the codec pack entirely. Windows 7 includes all the codecs you need. The only thing I can think of that you would need of is a MKV filter, and you can install that separately without some unwieldy pack. You could, you know, try Googling, too...

19. myluck1990

myluck1990 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    problem is caused by the DivXMFSource.dll. It happened to me couple times when I installed new softwares. For me, I just uninstall Win7codecs and windows will be back to normal.

good luck

20. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    #20 Kouryu, Jan 28, 2011
    東京がいますね。ああ、失礼しました!
    Tokyo huh? Well excuse me!
    Sorry for the late reply, I was actually working outside the house. The reason why I didn't explain this to you better, is it's actually right in your face. It's so obvious once you read the report. But since you said you're tired, here it is:
    Do what he said, then if I were you, I'd delete the file also to remove any other complications as apps may try to load it.
    It fixed it for him, so I guess that is the real solution after all

I hope it works out for you and have better luck when you wake up!