Windows explorer window cannot be restored down when saving a file.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by C.B., Aug 29, 2012.

1. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #1 C.B., Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    I had a problem that I've never experienced in all my years of using a Windows OS. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Today, 08/29, 2012, whenever I tried to save a file and clicked on Save, Windows Explorer appeared in a maximized state, with no Minimize or Restore Down buttons available. I was not able to go to any side of the Explorer window and drag it to a reduced size. I went to the Start Menu and opened Documents, Pictures, Music and Computer. They all opened in the Restore Down state, which is normal and what I expected. I spent some time online researching the issue and could find nothing that related to the problem. I decided to do a System Restore and chose a restore point on the 26th. Under "Description" it said "Automatic Restore Point" and under "Type" it said "System". There were also two Restore Points available for the 28th. Under "Description" one said Windows Update but I forget what it said under "Type". The second one said Windows Update under "Description" and Critical under "Type". There were no listings in System Restore for today, the 29th. I completed the restore to the 26th and after the restart I received the small window that stated that System Restore completed successfully. After the restore I could then save a file and during the process Windows Explorer opened in the Restore Down state, which is as it should be.

I then decided to check Windows Update for new updates to see which updates I removed due to the System Restore. No new updates are available. I then clicked on "View update history" within Windows Update and for the 28th it shows two definition updates for Microsoft Security Essentials and on the 29th, today, it shows an additional update for Microsoft Security Essentials. I assume these Microsoft Security Essentials updates are performed without any user input because my Windows Update settings are set to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them".

I then decided, just out of curiosity, to open System Restore again. It shows the restore operation I did, with the "Type" listed as Undo for the 29th, which was expected. However, it still shows the "Critical" update for the 28th and an additional update done on the 29th. This update for the 29th, listed as Critical, was not listed in System Restore when I chose a restore point on the 26th. This Critical update for the 29th listed in System Restore is not listed in Windows Update when I click on "View update history" and it is not listed when I go to Programs and Features, View installeld updates. It seems to only exist in System Restore as a phantom update. Furthermore, I neither opened and checked Windows Update today, prior to the restore operation, nor was I notified of any Windows update available for today, the 29th, prior to the restore operation.

I have two questions. One, why did Windows Explorer open to a maximized state with only the "Close" button available and no Minimize or Restore Down buttons available and two, why does System Restore show a "Critical" Windows update on the 29th that does not exist anywhere else?

Edit: Again, out of curiosity, I decided to track down the "Critical" Windows Update listed in System Restore for the 28th. It also seems to be a phantom update as it is not listed anywhere else. The latest update shown in Windows Update and Programs and Features was done on the 18th. I can't give you the KB numbers for the two phantom updates (28th and 29th) because they exist only in System Restore.

I realize that I'm dealing with two different issues in one thread but they're related to each other.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

C.B.

Attached Files:

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Run System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and see if that detects any issues. I've always found the use of a restore point to be problematic for reasons similar to what you're experiencing. I much prefer to restore a system image created from a known, stable properly operating system. Do you have one?.

3. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Hey PhaseDoubt,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

I ran sfc /scannow and no problems were found. I do keep system image backups on two external drives and I also have the discs I created with Dell DataSafe once I had all the applications installed. In the past I used Acronis TIH but that's another story altogether. I'm not worried about restoring the OS. If my image backups were to fail to work for any reason it wouldn't bother me. I back up anything of importance on both external drives and besides, I'm retired and don't mind spending the time if I have to reinstall the OS from the Windows installation disc I order with every Dell I purchase. The installation discs don't contain any of the freeware crap that comes with the computers. I keep updated Kaspersky rescue discs in the event a virus would lock me out of my hard drive.

I'm simply curious as to why I was confronted with these two issues. I have never encountered the problem with Windows Explorer before and I'm trying to understand how it occured.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #4 PhaseDoubt, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    Me too. But I learned long ago Windows (all versions) just does some strange innocuous things from time to time and there's nothing you can do about it. Some continuous and disruptive anomalies are worth researching to try to cure and prevent. Things that happen once-in-a-row are worthless for me to chase down. But, these are your windmills to joust with so good luck.