Windows Feedback App broken all the sudden

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ChaserLee, Oct 9, 2014.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Hello all. Been following all the posts for a while now, and learning many things about Windows 10 TP. Up until today, my Windows Feedback App has worked fine, and I've left my fair share of ideas and opinions.

However, all the sudden, it stopped working. Well, to be more specific, it still starts up, but in the windowed display is informs me that

"To use Windows Feedback, you must be registered with the Windows Insider Preview Program , and connected to the Internet the first time you run the feedback app."

Then just under that, there is a word in bold "Reload" that is actually a link. I click on it, but nothing happens.

Anyone else having this issue all the sudden? A shutdown, and reboot did not help, and when I go to the MS website it still knows that I'm registered with the Insider Program, so what gives? Anyone have an idea on how to fix this issue?

And for Part B: Anyone else having trouble with their clock settings? I live in the Central USA, but I have to set my time zone to "Pacific" in order for the time to display correctly in the lower right. The problem with that is that my reminders go off 2 hours earlier than they are supposed to. I can have a reminder set for 7:45PM, and it goes off at 5:45PM. Is this just an issue with my system, or is anyone else having this issue, and if so, how did you resolve it?

Many thanks to all the great minds, with the ideas, solutions, and postulations !

Chaser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Thank you for your reply, however, as I said in my original post, I went to that link you provided, and I was still logged in, and the site still recognized me as a registered 'Insider'. But, to double check, I just did as you suggested, and got the exact same results. MS still knows that I'm registered on their website, but the Feedback App still informs me that I'm not registered, nor am I connected to the internet. I have a direct connection which is always on via my router, and have no other internet connection issues at all.

Anyone know a way I can delete, then re-install that App, without doing a Refresh or New install of the Win10 OS? It's not a deal breaker that the app doesn't work now, but that's part of the reason why I'm using the TP, is to provide feedback. If I cannot provide feedback, I won't loose sleep, but it would lessen the experience for me.

Chaser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    You are logged on to WINDOWS 10 TP using same user ID/password as the insider program website?

If I read what you just wrote correctly, you are still logged in with your BROWSER. It needs to be a Windows 10 user account using the same account as the insider program. If you do not log in with the same user account you setup for the insider program as a user on Windows TP, Feedback app will not work.

Sorry but just double checking. From time to time we get some real THICK people here, if ya get me lol.

4. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    #5 ChaserLee, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    (OP)

I understand completely! ;) Just to make 100% sure, I went to the website with my BROWSER, logged out, then logged back in. All went well, and it once again knows me on the website as a member. Then I shutdown the computer, started her up again, and triple checked that I'm using the same email address, and the same password. All checks out same-O, same-O.

It's perplexing how the app just started doing this today. I've had Windows 10 TP installed for well over a week now, and as I said, I've sent a few feedbacks to MS for them to chew on.

Perhaps they just got tired of me sending in feedback, and remotely disabled my ability to do it anymore... :fear:

And btw, no need to be sorry, I'll take all the help and ideas anyone has about this issue. I can put up with the clock problem and adjust the times in my reminders so that they go off when they are supposed to, but I'd really like to get the Feedback App going again...... You also brought up a very good point, that if the two accounts don't match, I would never have been able to submit feedback at all, right? So, I'm convinced the problem is elsewhere.

Chaser

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    now that we have that straight lol

Have you made any changes (tweaks), installed anything since last time the feedback app worked? Perhaps changed something or blocked something in firewall, AV etc etc. Anything that MS doesn't want changed can cause things to go absurd in 3 2 1..

6. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Yes, I have made some changes since my last feedback send-in. I installed Steam and a couple of free games, and come to think of it, one of the games required that .Net 3 something be installed, and a couple of the games also installed versions of ActiveX. It was an automatic sort of thing, done with the game installation, so I really had no control over that part. Hummm.... wonder if a System Restore would do the trick. I make one manual system restore point each night, thanks to one of my reminders. But then I'd lose Steam and my games, just to be able to send in feedback. I'll have to ponder this situation overnight, and decide what is more important to me. If, in fact, that's the problem at all......

7. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    UPDATE: Well, I had to run System Restore twice, all the way back to 4 days ago, but the Feedback App now works again. I lost a lot of programs that I had installed in the last 4 days, but this time around, I'll make a restore point before I install each program, and then check the Feedback App after the program install to make sure it still works. That way, when I install whatever broke it last time, I can post here what program did it, and also I can do a small restore and not loose all the programs I installed up to that point. Ohhhhh, the life of a beta tester....lol

More to come when I find out which program broke the app......

Chaser

8. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I believe I found out what broke my Feedback App. It worked just fine, then I installed some programs, and it still work as it should. I then installed Apache Open Office 4.11 which automatically installs MS Visual C++ 2008 with it. I did a restart, and tried the Feedback App, and it was broke again. So, it's either something in Apache Open Office that broke it, or it was the C++ that did it. I'm leaning towards the C++ 2008 as being the problem child.

I think I'll start a new thread, to see if anyone else has had problems with Open Office after installing it. I don't think the problem will get enough exposure in this thread, which I consider to be resolved.

Thanks again all for the suggestions and ideas!

Chaser