Windows Home OEM -> Windows Enterprise Retail

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by no1special, Jan 30, 2019.

1. no1special

no1special MDL Junior Member

Jun 25, 2017
    I apologize if this has been covered in a thousand different topics already, but this has proven surprisingly difficult to find information on. Even in this forum, I'm not really sure what search terms to use to find what I'm looking for.

Reinstalling is not an issue for me, but my friend is not so tech-savvy. I wanted to use one of my (legit) Enterprise keys on their computer so I could enable some QoL features for them.

What I discovered is that OEM versions of Windows can't be upgraded by normal means, even with the diagnostic keys. They try to force you to purchase the Professional upgrade in the Windows Store for $100.

Is there a way to get a Retail key working on this OEM installation, while disrupting as few things as possible?

2. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    I'm not sure if that upgrade path is supported but you could try changing the key to the generic Enterprise key while the PC is not connected to the internet. If that doesn't work, then use @s1ave77 's License Switcher to switch the license to Enterprise OEMRET and then activate it using your retail key.

3. arcangelmk

arcangelmk MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    If you have a legit key, it does allow you to go straight to enterprise. The issue is that you have to be up to date prior to. My laptop reinstalls Home OEM by default, I update to 1809 using the update assistant, then use the key in the Activation page of Settings.

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Iirc @Enthousiast tested this successfully.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  6. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    Not sure how/why but now have Enterprise permanently activated. I thought it was good until 2029 however slmgr -xpr shows permanent activation Retail key -8HV2C.
    I read this somewhere before @MDL but not sure cause. Should be problem free on reinstalls

Not to be able to do this again ?

7. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Depends on the used key for the upgrade, Retail key will end up in having Enterprise Retail ;).

9. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Thanks, it is a retail key