Windows Home Server - Newbie OEM Activation - Help Please

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Detox, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Detox

Detox MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    I have my ISO of Windows Home Server and have read many of the posts regarding how to activate but I am very confused. Some help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

From this site I downloaded WHS_Maker5 and attempted to follow the instructions. My questions are as follows:

1. How do I determine whether I need HP/DELL/IBM? Is there a special program required to determine this? Is this someone how encoded in the ISO I already have?

2. Is the WHS_Maker5 program intended to burn a brand new install DVD with the necessary information. If so where do I place my ISO image on the hard drive for it to be altered?

These questions may seem very trivial but I am only asking for help because I have already spent a good 10 hours on this and could use a little hand holding.

Many thanks, Detox

2. Detox

Detox MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    Anyone? I would appreciate a PM at least to point me in the right direction, or a message to let me know if the question is inappropriate for this board.

Many thanks.

Detox

3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    right board just nobody has replied yet. I do not know anything about Windows Home Server, but if you point me to some guides, I will see what I can find out.

4. Detox

Detox MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    I really appreciate it. From what I can gather the method looks similar how people have convered Windows XP OEM discs. Just don't know how to start.

Cheers,
    Detox

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Detox

Detox MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    I really appreciate the help.

The machine I intend to install on is a DIY self built PC, Pentium 4, Asus MB etc. Not sure if this matters. It is not a stock /Dell/IBM/HP as I have been reading.

As for modding the bios, are you referring to modding the MB Bios, or is there a separate bios that is being modded (eg. the software).

Can't wait to get back at this tonight.

Cheers,

Detox

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    If you want to activate the WHS, you need the strings added to the MBbios. No other way around it.

The OEMBIOS files need the bios strings for activation, or this is all for nothing..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Correct me if I am wrong but I have never been able to find Asus royalty OEMBIOS files, do they exist? Even grabbing them from oembios.net did not yield the right ones. So you might have to try and find some sort of soft mod for the BIOS.

If those do not work then try and find a copy of Windows Server 2003 with a VLK label, so you don't need activation just a key.

9. Detox

Detox MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2009
    Well I tried to run OEMBIOS.exe file on the computer and it couldb't even give me a version (wouldn't give me anything). I tried the same file on a different PC and it told me I had an HP & Compaq.

But the machine I want to install on, can't give me a version. Strange.

10. FixedBit

FixedBit MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Yeah I have not logged in for a while but it is true you have to mod your bios to know what to use.

If you mod it with IBM, use IBM. Mod for Dell, use Dell... And so forth.

To break it down more, you need to mod your bios first.

A lot of tools and information about this are under the Windows XP forums (I say XP and not Vista because WHS uses the SLP 1.0 markers, not Vista's way).

Once you get the box modded to an oem SLP then you can use the right one in the WHS kit.