Windows Home Server Vail password problem.

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by FireSokar, Feb 2, 2010.

1. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    Ok so heres the weird thing, I went to use the "connection" software with the home server and when i type in the password its telling me its wrong, im 99% sure its right but have no way of changing/reseting can anyone tell me how to do it with out losing data or settings that ive been tweaking all day?

Btw to anyone who hasnt installed yet, theres alot not implemented such as this function to reset password!

2. troels

troels MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    If you by any chance is using a non-us keyboard try your password is it looks on a us keyboard. Like _ instead of ? etc.

3. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    Nah its a us keyboard, Im gonna try it down stairs to test it out on the actual server, see if i can reset the pass some how.

4. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    Used the same keyboard to type it in, still the same problem dont quite understand how this happened It asks for the password twice and it was typed in exactly the same. Im really frustrated with this as theres no easy way to reset the password that i know of.

5. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    Did a install on vmware, and come to find out the password still wont work. This seems to be a default password that never channges. Has anyone figured this out/experience this issue?

6. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    I found the problem, its a issue with WHS (2003) version as well. Its because im on Windows 7 64bit. I had to change a security option under lan in secpol.msc to get it working.

7. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    #7 ZaForD, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    Hi FireSokar,
    I think I've got the same problem.
    I tried changing the 'Network Security LAN Manager authentication level' but it made no difference. :(

I'm using the 32bit version of Windows7 and running 'Vail' as a VM in Hyper-V.
    The really strange thing is, it worked the first time I tried it with the same start up. :confused:

Anyone else having problems ?

--- Edit --
    I forgot to mention, that Windows 7 can find and access 'Vail' through Explorer.
    But can't find it by name (appears to find it with IP) with the connector software.

8. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    Did you reboot the pc you did the fix on? This is the same pc you are installing the client on not the WHS server.

9. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Yeah, Its been rebooted a number of times since.

I've even installed Vail on a real PC now, and tried to use the connector form a (Hyper-V) VM client as well as this laptop client. With the same results. :(

I'm going to try a different router this weekend, as Vail seems to have trouble setting up Remote Access, unless I reboot the router first. And even then it wipes all other UPnP settings. :confused:

Something I've noticed, that may give the Network Guru's a clue to whats happening.
    Both the client and server are on the default 'WORKGROUP' workgroup.
    I can't connect to the Server via name (\\Server) with either a Browser or Explorer.
    I can connect most of the time via IP v4 address (192.168.0.xxx) with both a Browser and Explorer.
    I can connect all the time via a IP v6 address, again with both a Browser and Explorer.
    But theres no way to get the connector software to use a IP v6 address. :(

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi Guys,

I still haven't solved this problem. :(
    But editing the HOSTS file to point the servers name, to the IP v6 works. ;)