Windows Home Server version 2, codename "VAIL"

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by troels, Jan 26, 2010.

1. troels

troels MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    You can download a beta of this on different torrent sites.

It's based on R2 - i.e. 64 bit - and the server itself installs fine. With difficulty I can also connect to the server from a local computer and get the so called dashboard up, but i can't see a way to install the backup programs etc. on the local computer. I can see "remote apps" showing but nothing happens.

Anybody with greater skills?

2. bodyzen

bodyzen MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    anybody......??????

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    has anyone activated this? If so what version os did you use a key from? Remove Wat causes "Dashboard.exe" to freeze when loading. What methods is everyone using to activate?

4. cybrmage

cybrmage MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2009
    To answer the original posters question....

The "leaked" edition of VAIL does not come with a "Home Server Connector" disk as the original Windows Home Server did. Instead, you must load the "connector" software onto your client PC's from the server... but the method has changed slightly.

On your client PC, load Internet Explorer and navigate to "http://(your server name or IP address)/connect" then click on the link labeled "Connect your computer to the server". This will run the installer for the connector software. Once the connector software has been installed, you will find three new shortcuts on your desktop - 1) vail dashboard, 2) launchpad, and 3) Sharded folders.

The Vail dashboard is the new version of the old "Home Server console" and the launchpad is the new version of the client connector. You use the dashboard to manage your Vail server and the launchpad to monitor the server status and manage the client backups.

It should be noted that before you can use the launchpad, you must create a user on the server with remote access privileges, as the launchpad will not connect to the server with the "Administrator" user account. Also, it will prompt you to log into the server each time you run the launchpad, but will keep the connection and run in the background once connected.

5. troels

troels MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    Thank you, good find. The last part stopped me, but now I can try again.