Windows is activated with a digital license unexpectendly

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bladerundev, Nov 29, 2022.

1. bladerundev

bladerundev MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2022
    Hi,
    Today I installed Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64-bit. I have downloaded it from microsoft.com as an ISO image. I have put it on a flash drive and installed it. This is the first time I have installed this OS on this machine. I have thought a serial code is required, but during installation I chose "I don't have a product key". When installation is finished, I create an "offline account" and install all updates. After that, I opened the settings panel, and I saw that the OS was activated: "Windows is activated with a digital license". A time ago, I used something like KMS_VL_ALL - Smart Activation Script, but only for testing it on a Virtual Box Machine. I have never used it for this OS on a real machine.

ISO image is untouched, and the SHA checksum is correct.

How is it possible, that I have full access to all system options without having to perform manual activation, enter a product key, or something like that? When will the system pop up for that?

2. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Did you know you can put your Windows 7 Pro key on Windows 10 Pro?? No need KMS_VL_ALL.. :)

ATGPUD2003

3. patapout

patapout MDL Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Maybe before that install , you've already use somekind of HWID activation on your OS.
    So , if you install Windows (same version on the same machine) , your OS will remain activated ;)

4. alexxf

alexxf MDL Addicted

Feb 9, 2008
    This is cause the HWID activation info for that machine is stored on MS Servers. It is activated automatically when you go online

5. test10

test10 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2015
    The most likely answer is that you installed it onto a laptop which has the Windows activation embedded in the BIOS.

If the laptop has a Windows sticker on the back,
    it is permanently activated as long as you use the same version of Windows for installation. (Home vs Pro)