Windows Isn’t a Service. It’s an Operating System

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Mr.X, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #1 Mr.X, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Addicted

Mar 15, 2014
    Microsoft has a bunch of people, who do not know, what they want. Just Windows email was renamed 3-4 times in the past few years, the same goes for various Windows features.
    The whole Insider thing is just a charade, as 1809 removing documents already proved, as well as fiasco with 1803. Microsoft does not have any system, everything is done on the go.

3. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Addicted

Nov 7, 2011
    "Windows as a service" was requested by many insiders since the begin of Windows 10 in October 2014.

4. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Senior Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Apple develops its OS to run on its hardware, and only its hardware. MS sells an OS to run on thousands of configurations. Plus, with Windows as a service you can start something on your computer, and later add to it or finish it on your smartphone. There is no delay or chance of forgetting what you were doing. Actually, and this of course is my opinion, Windows as a service is a really good feature, and means we are not tied down to one device.

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    We never were tied down to one device, and being able to switch devices and continue where you left off is hardly justification for all the rest of the crap that comes with it, and other than businesses, how many home users would need that feature anyway? Not many

I pretty much only want my browser profile copied between devices so I have all my bookmarks and addons

6. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    I've always felt Microsoft has suffered a lack of organization and leadership that plagues many other large corporations. I've read comments from people that have worked there saying it's one of the worst in that respect. It really shows in the disorganization and frequent change of tack in their products.

I think this Windows as a service directive has only made things much worse. The bi-annual version release was a really bad idea from the start. Problem is MS rarely goes back on a directive. They'll take a bad idea and stick with it no matter what. The only solution is to start over. We got that when Windows NT replaced Windows 98, they need to do it again. Start over from the ground up. This time do it with some clearly defined, smart objectives and don't waffle.

7. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Senior Member

Sep 16, 2018
    This is the future of all Operating Systems. Don't expect cross-device integration to go away.

8. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Microsoft is currently the world's most valuable company with their market capitalization (stock price multiplied by outstanding shares) at $780 billion. They're obviously doing some things right in certain areas (like in cloud computing).

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Huge corporations like Microsoft do not exist in a vacuum. They are continually watching the markets, trying to maximize profits.

If you owned MS stock right now, you would -not- be considering selling it. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Well I'm just a measly consumer so who am I to say really. Anyway that's just my opinion of them not that it amounts to much. The only money they ever get from me is when I buy a new laptop computer.

11. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I'm just a measly consumer as well. My response was not just to your post but to Microsoft bashing in general. To become the most valuable company in the world, they must have some smart people in leadership positions there. And the current CEO deserves credit for their recent success, even though I think we all agree there have been some big missteps in the Windows division.

Getting back to topic, I do agree 100% with the article that Mr.X posted above.

(Getting back off-topic, I agree with MJ that MSFT is and will continue to be a great stock investment. But I'd put money in AAPL right now with the big pullback they've had.)

12. moistbuns

moistbuns MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2015
    #13 moistbuns, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    I don't care what they do as long as they bring back custom install. I know it'll never happen but gosh damn it would be good.

There's one reason LTSC is popular: there's too much preloaded in-house or sponsored apps/software. But LTSC is just as bloated as any version of Windows 10; it creates an illusion by giving you an emptier start menu.

I reckon the majority of desktop users would be happier if there was an officially-supported barebones variant of Windows with no caveats or limitations - yet scalable with extra features on-demand/as-needed via internet.

The OS is modular by design and so is Windows Update. Yet there's never been a small, neat "client only" version that takes up a few GBs. They always include the whole codebase, stuff you'll never use.

There's been slightly leaner SKUs but they're always crippled by a RAM or multi-tasking limit and they're always versions of Windows you don't want "starter".

I know it's possible to do stripped NTLite images but it's a game of roulette as to whether you run into a random error with your printer driver or Windows Update. If you get the perfect stripped image with no compatibility issues it won't stick after a major update.

A slim variant of Windows is very doable, just I don't think MS would ever entertain it. Still, it would be so good to choose just the core desktop and have only the applicable updates arrive.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Can you elaborate about, what you call, the bloat in LTSB/C?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. moistbuns

moistbuns MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2015
    #15 moistbuns, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    What I call bloat would be the extensive list of both deployed and undeployed features that most won't use. The right DISM commands will elicit a huge scrolling output of packages you can Google and realise how irrelevant they are to most end-users. See DISM /? (It might not show you everything). NTLite will also show a tree of all the separate components. Again, how comprehensive I can't say.

Granted within this is a lot of stuff that makes the OS universally compatible. Language packs, drivers, dependency runtimes and frameworks, services and whatnot. Though even then it would be nice to have the option of going light and have it download+deploy as needed.

I feel like a good portion of what MS has deployed is to facilitate it's own under-the-hood processes and software. Which it wouldn't want you to not have.

LTSC is also evidently bloated if you see how much hard drive space it takes up then look at how big the core ESDs are for this OS on a UUP dump - a good proportion of the size is mandatory supplementary packages which you can't compile an ISO without.

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    So, no real info about the bloat.

16. moistbuns

moistbuns MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2015
    #17 moistbuns, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    I told you, you can either run DISM and familiarise yourself with the inventory of the OS. Or you can be annoying with closed statements that seem obviously button-pushing.

I've clearly explained why I think 10 is bloated; take it or leave it.

17. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Yeah I'd also love to have user level control over installation of all the components, take a peek at
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages
    Only a small fraction of those appear when you do dism /Get-Packages. Most are set with a hidden flag, but it's not as simple as unhiding them and removing them with dism. It's why you need tools like nlite and MSMG. You can see a ton of stuff that can be removed, but it's a crap shoot on breaking things.

18. googs

googs MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Ummm anyone with a global monopoly on something, would become most valuable !!!