Windows Live Essential Wave 4 Beta - Change MSN Display Name?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by henryy., Jun 25, 2010.

1. henryy.

henryy. MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Has anyone managed to change their display name? Seems impossible. :mad:

2. jbird123

jbird123 MDL Novice

May 11, 2010
    Just tried the new WLM to try out the facebook chate. What a joke!

Why cant I change my display name? Why are my facebook contacts mixed up with WLM contacts AND have its own group (which doesnt seperate online/offline contacts). Freaking annoying! Uninstalling if I dont get used to it by the end of the business day!

:mad::mad::mad:

3. Orbiting234

Orbiting234 MDL Member

Jul 20, 2008
    That ability is long gone in Windows Live Essentials 2011. None of the betas have allowed that. Which makes sense really. No more retarded 1337 names to hide behind and since Facebook uses real names anyways, the integration with that makes things all nice and neat with everyone's real name displayed. This is a change that has been universally welcomed by damn near everyone. Only the vocal minority who have no legitimate reason to dislike it bitch and moan about it.

4. jbird123

jbird123 MDL Novice

May 11, 2010
    Not sure I agree with that. I'm 20, run my own online business (using msn a lot), but I still like to have my name as 'JackLloyd.' and then an emoticon to show if Im working, or away or on holiday just chillin listening to music or whatever, thats what I've always had and thats what people look for to speak to me.

I think that the only people who are likely to actually go on a forum and say if they like it or not are the ones that agree with you. Thats not necessarily a valid representation of everybodys opinions. Pretty much everyone I know hate the idea of not being able to change their msn display name, not one of them (except me) would ever go online and mention it other than on msn or FB. The thing is, what you think is a minority who have no legitimate reason to dislike it bitch and moan about it are probably actually the majority of users IMO (school kids, teenagers, general users)

Atm, you have the choice, so these kids (and me) are happy and you are happy because you can use your full name if you like. Now everyone is forced to use your full name though, so only one half of the people are happy. Thats clearly a backwards step IMO.

Integration with FB needs to be sorted too, takes days to search for an msn contact now because its searching through my FB contacts :cool:

Theres many other little annoying things that I've noticed while using the new version too. Why are so many things that used to be built in to change/customize that now just opens a web page?

Does my head in when things changed and make it worse not better grr :@