Windows live messenger update error.

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Checkout!, May 26, 2010.

1. Checkout!

Checkout! MDL Junior Member

Mar 9, 2010
  2. Checkout!

Mar 9, 2010
    any assist guys :(???

3. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    The only thing I can think of is there either restart the computer then try the update again or actually remove WLM then reinstall it and try again. Maybe even download it again from M$, I think that one will be the latest.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #7 burfadel, May 26, 2010
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
    I recommend uninstalling Windows Live Essentials all together, then proceed with the following:

*I don't think this issue affects the new MSN, but MSN 8.5 etc was affected by a VC_redist issue that if encountered meant you could not install MSN 8.5 at all!
    EDIT: Looking at the error in the last screencap about the visual studio runtime, it sounds like the exact same issue as with MSN 8.5!

To fix, run the following from the command prompt. Type in cmd in the start menu search area, and right hand click on cmd.exe, and select run as administrator. If you have completely disabled UAC and are logged in as administrator you don't have to worry about that.

Type in:
    fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

If you have other drives or partitions, do the same for them (by replacing c:\ with d:\ etc). It shouldn't be necessary to do the other drivers, but since you're there you might as well :).
    Another thing you should run when there is:
    sfc /scannow

It basically verifies the Windows files and fixes and issues encountered. This probably won't affect the install, but is something that should be done out of precaution.

After the check has completed, reboot the computer and try the installation again.

If you don't use the toolbar which is for Internet Explorer etc, you can deselect it when you install just like any other component you don't wish to use.

5. Checkout!

Mar 9, 2010
    #8 Checkout!, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  6. Checkout!

Mar 9, 2010
    Hello,

Thanks all, the problem solved, i did run the following above after complety remove the windows live and re-install msn messenger 8.5

Thanks all,

7. ryyaan

ryyaan MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2009
    To fix Update issue set system time to <28 may, after this date kill swith is activated and it is impossible to run wave 4 without updating.