windows logging off automatically

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ishan, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ishan

ishan MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2008
    Recently I have encountered a problem with a computer. When I log into this computer it logs of imediately. I have tried to log in using safe mode and also tried to recover windows using recovery console. But nothing works. Is it the virus mischief, or some kind of windows mishap. Please don't tell me to format the hard disk. I need to repair the windows without hampering the data in it.

2. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
    #2 datcat, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. anbarasan

anbarasan MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2008
    friend i also phaze d same problem , backup all yours valuable datas in C: drive only then formate the C: drive only don't open any folders or files please put cd drive with virus software application cd tru install yours system after registration completed then reboot yours system,. now scall all yours drive sure 100 or 1000 virus catch sure,.

in my system catch 5300 virus system volume information folder hidden

soi try and after see d result,.

Thanks

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Restore

Since this is recent, when you booted in SAFE MODE, did you attempt a SYSTEM RESTORE to a time when all was well?

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MADDOG33

MADDOG33 MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Check registry winlogon and make sure shell = explorer.exe

6. kingvn

kingvn MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2009
    Hi all, this is my 1st post.
    If you are using windows XP,I think that may be have problem with your system file : userinit.exe . virus infected this and your antivirus kill them, also it deleted your system file.
    To solving them, you must replace your system files : userinit.exe. It maybe in C:\windows
    or C:\windows\system32.

7. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #7 HMonk, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
    Userinit

From a purely diagnostic standpoint, I would not suspect a userinit.exe Trojan because these are designed to harvest data, not disable a machine. I suppose if someone wrote a "corrupt" Trojan to begin with, it might takeover Win userinit.exe and create the issue.

That said, Kingvn raises a very good question. Userinit.exe, located in the System32 folder, is comparable to the boot loader but starts AFTER the boot loader is finished. When one logs on to Windows, Winlogon takes over and, among other things, runs userinit.exe. One of Winlogon's first functions is to establish user authorization and the activation code. So one question is, does Winlogon recognize the user and code as legit?

A second important function of userinit.exe MADDOG33 aludes to: it starts the Windows interface: explorer.exe. Clearly, if userinit.exe is corrupt OR if explorer.exe is corrupt you are unlikely to be able to boot in Safe Mode, as you noted, because explorer is the interface for all Windows modes. One presumptive test would be to boot to a cmd line (DOS) prompt. Being able to do so would not tell you anything about the OS but it would be a presumptive test to rule out some BIOS or machine issues.

So, I would focus on authorization, activation code, corrupt explorer.exe or userinit.exe.

FYI, OS files sizes are fairly consistent from machine to machine. You can Google the issue and find stats that tell you, e.g., "In 66% of the case, xfile contains xKB." My explorer.exe file (in the Windows root directory) is 1010KB; my userinit.exe file (in System 32) is 26KB, which is about average for both. A Trojan is likely to be 50-100KB or more. Understand that OS file data varies, but usually not by much, so file size MAY give you some indication of corruption or tampering, especially if your files are significantly different.

Good observations Kingvn and MADDOG33. :cool:

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...