Windows Media Center - why blocked for Enterprise version?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CuteBirdy, Aug 20, 2012.

1. CuteBirdy

CuteBirdy MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    I got Windows 8 Enterprise instead of Professional, thinking the Enterprise version will have everything the Professional has plus more. But I just realise now that the Enterprise version has a weakness, it is not possible to install Windows Media Center on it. Why does Microsoft do this? How important is Windows Media Center, and are there other software out there that does the same thing (including integration with other Windows functions) as well as WMC? Should I be regretting getting the Enterprise version instead of the Professional one?

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    They have their idea of different versions and potential customers. Enterprise customers don't need WMC. It's plausible, enterprise editions are not made for home users.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CuteBirdy

Aug 17, 2012
    So if I already got Windows Enterprise up and running properly, should I be getting Windows Professional instead and start over, since I am a home user? Does WMC matter that much to warrant a reinstall and reactivation?

4. amno1970

amno1970 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    Probably we will see a workaround to integrate WMC in Enterprise Edition. As an alternative, I recommend MediaPortal.

5. CuteBirdy

Aug 17, 2012
    So there's nothing really special about WMC then, there are and will be other programs that can do the same thing later?

I hope there will be a way to integrate WMC into Enterprise Edition, and hope Microsoft won't block it if WMC requires a constant internet connection to Microsoft servers to function...

6. Sparky51

Sparky51 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    well, i guess enterprise is for me then... because i haven't use media player for many, many years (a decade or more), i have other software that does a much better job than WMC unless microsoft gave it a BIG face lift in Win8... but i'm still not really interested in it, due to their, it's past history...

7. Norfolk

Norfolk MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Windows media player aka WMP is still present in Entreprise Edition, but Windows Media Center aka WMC is'nt

8. mywindows8

mywindows8 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2012
    I have an activated Windows 8 Pro installed on my PC and wonder why no WMC show on Start Menu? Thanks!!

9. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Yes, the reason is probably that Enterprise just isn't intended for home use. As a home user you can't buy it anyway, even you wanted to.

Seconded.

10. EricMarsi

EricMarsi MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2012
    #11 EricMarsi, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Just install Win8Codecs, or instead VLC/VideoLAN, then you can play DVDs.

12. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    If you have a TV tuner (to watch over-the-air TV picked up by an antenna or even cable TV, if you have something like the HDHomeRun Prime), you really really, really, really want WMC. The feature set, interface, reliability and polish of WMC is simply unrivaled (and believe me, I've tried a lot of different media center programs, Media Portal included).

...but that's about the only thing that WMC is really good for. If you don't plan on watching or recording TV, then you don't need WMC (but really, you should consider it; a USB TV tuner is pretty cheap; I picked up a few for around $20 each, and being able to watch and record HDTV is sooooooooo much better in terms of quality and convenience than the crap you get from streaming or even scene-release torrents), but if you do, then you'll find that the lack of WMC is a deal-breaker. I plan to wait until October when I can buy a proper WMC license before I dabble in W8. It's that important to me.

13. Shaom

Shaom MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2011
    Can someone tell me why PowerDVD is playing avi files in enterprise version (without any codecs) and on professional cannot? I installed Win8Codecs, K-lite pack and ffdshow o_O

14. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
  15. Nil Einne

Nil Einne MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2007
  16. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    I'll concede that if you're outside of the US, WMC is probably a dud. But here in the States, it's a very different story...

17. hoodlikegaza

hoodlikegaza MDL Junior Member

Oct 10, 2007
    From what I've seen media portal does not support livetv with cable card tuners, = useless for premium cable.