Windows Media Center... why?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by sevenacids, Sep 9, 2013.

1. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    With all these tutorials floating around about how to build an ISO with WMC integrated (and maybe activated), I was just wondering how many people are actually still use Windows Media Center. Personally, I added it when I got Windows 8 and I think just because they offered these free upgrade keys, but when I setup Windows 8.1 a few days ago I deliberately left it out because I actually never ever used it (which was different a few years ago when I still watched TV using USB DVB-T). I mean, is it just like last year when there also was this loophole that allowed you to activate a non-genuine Windows 8 Pro install with it, the chase for "completeness", or why is everybody still going for this feature? Just curious... :rolleyes:

2. Lacius

Lacius MDL Member

Oct 22, 2010
    The reason people are talking about using and activating the WMC edition of Windows 8.1 is because of Microsoft's promotional free WMC upgrade that occurred in late 2012. This allowed people to get their hands on a lot of legitimate WMC keys.

3. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I think the full title is Windows 8.1 Pro WMC OCD.

I don't think you are too far off the mark about "completeness"

People don't like to let Microsoft defeat them - so they fight tooth and nail for features they might someday want to use.

I use WMC to play DVD's, I have legit product keys though - if I didn't I'd just use Media Player Classic so it's no big deal really.

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I only install it because I got it for free :p I'd never buy it in a million years. I'd just use some other media player.

5. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Isn't WMC a TV tuner or something to that effect as well? I remember back on 05-06 when I bought me a Dell XPS 400 that came with Windows XP (Media Center) and it had the options to connect a tuner and then watch/record TV through WMC. I didn't get the card and some other things cause that baby was already at $2,200!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. edgr.sanchez

edgr.sanchez MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    I completely agree... I used to use WMC back when I used my Xbox as my Media Center unit... but I use PLEX now. It works much much better.

7. Revolve

Revolve MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2013
    I also use it to watch/record TV through. I'm really annoyed it doesn't come as standard any more going forward.

8. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    Windows Media Center is a replacement for Windows Media Player. I use WMC on my W7 laptop for watching movies, listening music, watching TV... :cool:

9. eydee

eydee Guest

Some old analogue PCI TV tuner cards have no software for anything newer than XP, and old XP software won't work because MS changed the whole sound system in Vista. So the one and only application that can be used with these cards is WMC. I'd use it as well, if I watched TV more than 2 times in 10 years. But then I do...

10. bonyjose

bonyjose MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2013
    just because they gave it for free, and used the promotional key for genine activation..:p

11. edgr.sanchez

edgr.sanchez MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    Isn't WMC supposed to be a Media Center application so that you can use your computer as a media center in a living room type scenario with a remote?

12. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Yes you can. It's main purpose is the tv-tuner handling. I believe there are infrared sensor+remote bundles you can buy for Media Center.
    You could probably pipe all your tv to media center and just have a tv sitting off to the side with an HDMI cable hooked up.
    The only reason I don't do that is that I sit close to my computer and the cooling fans are a little annoying.

13. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
  14. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    :D
    +1 me also.

15. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    WMC is the first thing I uninstalled on Win 7 everytime. And I never bothered with it on 8 as well. MPC-HC is one player that I use which plays everything at super high quality

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    wmc is a nice player and is not all bloated up like certain brand software. I use it with ffshow for dvd playback.

17. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
  18. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Record and watch TV. The best DVR software there is, period, and I've tried a lot.

If you don't have a TV tuner, then WMC is probably useless. If you have a TV tuner (or 6, in my case), WMC is must-have.

19. ljimbo

ljimbo MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    I grabbed WMC for bothmy desktops.. and recently got a TV tuner.. it was quite nice.. then i discovered MediaPortal.. much better then WMC for some things specially with several computers around the house i can now stream TV to each box with no issues at all.. very simple