Windows media player slow/stuttering on windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Proxx, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Proxx

Proxx MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2010
    Hi,

I have been having a problem with windows media player where it was extremely slow and stuttered/jumped when playing videos and mp3's. This just started 2 days ago.

I was reading this http://www.mydigitallife.net/2007/0...layer-wmp11-slow-loading-and-skipping-the-end
    and it seems that, that is my problem and that apparently worked great for a lot of people.
    However I am on windows xp, not vista and I'm having the same problem.

Can anyone help me to do the same thing as is in that tutorial except on windows xp?

Thnx in advance

2. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    the essence of that tutorial is lowering the sound effects/enhancements ..

you can do that in XP...
    just go into Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > disable System Effects/Enhancements

also what may help you is to turn down the graphics settings .. this may be causing the Stuttering and Skipping

3. Proxx

Proxx MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2010
    I still cant see "Hardware and Sound"
    In my control panel I only have 2 things that could be related to it.
    "Realtek HD sound effect manager" and "Sound and Audio Devices"
    I can't see in either of these anything to do with disabling system effects/enhancements.

I have no visualization in windows media player and my computer is pretty decent, 9800GTX+, Q6600 quadcore @ 2.4GHZ, etc etc...

I have used windows media player perfectly with all graphics on full and everything was lightening fast and smooth until the other day, I installed a new codec I think and maybe that has stuffed it up, but I'm not sure.

Thnx for the reply.

4. Proxx

Proxx MDL Novice

Apr 5, 2010
  5. Bill B

Bill B MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2010
    Err, which codec was that?