Windows Metadata and Internet Services NOT WORKING! please help

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by freiwald, Aug 20, 2015.

1. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Hey guys!

since installing windows 10 for the first time i get this error after booting up under "admin events" in event viewer.
    "A connection to the Windows Metadata and Internet Services (WMIS) could not be established"

when i go to the control panel, then "hardware and sound" and then on "devices and printers" i am not able to receive those custom infos/symbols for my hardware.
    it was like this from the beginning and i had to reinstall windows 10 multiple times (clean installs) and it was there every time! so it's no wrong option or registry tweak at my end. it was there all the time, on windows 10 pro and windows 10 ltsb too.

found a workaround on google to change the metadata url in the registry... it did not help.
    do you guys getting the same error after booting up? can you guys receive those hardware infos/symbols?
    what can i do about it? it is so annoying

2. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    the windows version ??? your source ???

3. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    my source?? what source? what!? :D
    currently im using windows 10 enterprise LTSB but like i said i also tried it with windows 10 pro. and i had to format multiple times and it was always there from the beginning. so i doubt it has anything to do with my setup.
    a friend of mine has the same problem on his windows 8.1 pro pc.
    after googling i found out many people got this problem but like i said i haven't found any fix.

so i was hoping someone in here can help me.

4. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    no one in here has this problem or those entries in event viewer? cmon people this can't be! so many people on other boards got this problem but i haven't found a fix for this.
    just on to change the metadata url in the registry but it does not work/change anything. it's still not updating custom infos and symbols for my hardware

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    This might be like stating the obvious, but have you ran a system file check?
    "sfc /scannow" ???

6. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    thanks but sadly no! it's enabled. i even enabled "yes, do this automaticly" just for testing purpose.

7. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    In my system,
    Event ID 200(A connection to the Windows Update service could not be established.)
    Event ID 201(A connection to the Windows Metadata and Internet Services (WMIS) could not be established.)
    Event ID 202(The Network List Manager reports no connectivity to the internet.)
    are usually bundled together and are mostly present when the system wasn't connected to the internet. Source of these events is DeviceSetupManager.

Have you blocked these two hosts redir.metaservices.microsoft.com and dmd.metaservices.microsoft.com using hosts file?

Generally, yes, I'm able get to the list of devices and printers on my system, but, occasionally, when shady devices are plugged-in(non WHQL) it hangs for a while.

8. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    #10 freiwald, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    (OP)
    exactly those are the errors. i haven't blocked anything in my hosts file or on another way. of course i used some tweaks by now to disable some stuff but like i said i tried this on several fresh and clean installed windows 10 versions without changing anything and it was always like this straight out of the box.

i got a router which is always connected to the internet. if i start my pc i instantly get a internet connection which has never let me down. even windows updates work instantly after booting. so i don't know why there are these errors.

why do so many other people got problems with this, even on older systems? but for some (like you) it's working ... is it maybe a DNS error?
    what do you mean with shady devices? mouse and keyboard (logitech), 2 monitors (samsung, philips), printer/scanner (HP) and a xbox 360 controller. nothing more hanging on my pc

9. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    I've been upgrading the same OS since v9841, so I took those Warnings as part and parcel of using Tech Previews.
    Are those clean installs on actual physical machines, or VMs? May be if they are on VMs, then guest OSes won't able to resolve *necessary/relevant* domains correctly, if they are blocked in some way in the host OS. Hence, resulting in those errors.

By shady devices, I meant non-WHQL, not digitally signed/certificated for Windows 8/10 hardwares, such as el-cheapo Chinese Phones(MTP/USB), Bluetooth dongles and stuff. They don't completely hang the system. It is just that fetching the list of devices in "devices and printers" window takes a while when they are plugged in the system. :)

10. Carol666

Carol666 MDL Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Event ID 201(A connection to the Windows Metadata and Internet Services (WMIS) could not be established.)

At least Microsoft won't spy on you

11. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    thanks again for your reply! sadly no shady devices installed... otherwise i could test it but nothing to remove here.
    it was on my main pc and a "older" laptop.... both are working fine except for this problem. (like i said right after a fresh install without changing anything too)

googled the last 3 days i don't know what to do... i know it's no big deal but it's just annoying and won't get off my mind

12. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    #14 Fckr, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  13. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    no 0x80070490 error here at all :(
    also no GUIDs anywhere ... so i could atleast check what devices maybe is faulty :(

only this:
    Event ID 200(A connection to the Windows Update service could not be established.)
    Event ID 202(The Network List Manager reports no connectivity to the internet.)

14. Fckr

Fckr MDL Member

Feb 4, 2011
    If "Filter Current Custom View" works in your system, then you may narrow down the output by using "By source: DeviceSetupManager" and see what sort of errors, if any, does DeviceSetupManager create as source.

15. freiwald

Jul 27, 2015
    ah f**k it! it does not work... there is nothing i can do about it. saaaad