Windows Modules Installer Worker HIGH RAM USAGE

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by WinFree, Aug 29, 2016.

1. WinFree

WinFree MDL Member

Aug 6, 2016
    #1 WinFree, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Windows Modules Installer Worker consume a lot of RAM (12GB) and causing Windows to shutdown. What can I do to fix this? In services it's set to manually.

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    I tend to not give out advice such as "do a reinstall" but going by your post history I'll make an exception.

Good luck finding someone to help troubleshoot the mess you undoubtedly have put yourself into by randomly deleting stuff you know nothing about.

3. WinFree

WinFree MDL Member

Aug 6, 2016
    I only have used Privacy Tweakers and not deleted anything I have not been sure of. I have used same settings before and I had no problem at all. So it's a little bit strange how it acting now. What post specifically you think of that might caused it because it might be very helpful?

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #6 lobo11, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    With everything you have done, I don't see how anyone could help except a lucky guess, if I am not being to frank, what are you trying to accomplish?:D

Pretty soon it will be a dedicated solitaire machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. WinFree

WinFree MDL Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Well it would maybe helpful if you guys just could say what I have done wrong in the past that maybe caused this instead. A windows suddenly came up and said the memory are almost full and I need to shut down apps. I had only my browser up. I quickly checked Task Manager and Windows Modules Installer Worker running 12GB RAM. Everything I in past I posted about tweaking or deleting I had never problem with this. I use same setting and suddenly this happen. How could it work before with same settings but not now?

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Must be something you have done recently, try and remember what you did and undo them one by one until you find which is causing the problem.:D:confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. WinFree

WinFree MDL Member

Aug 6, 2016
    I will think of this but for now I have disabled Windows Modules Installer Worker in msconfig. If it don't happen again then I will be happy :worthy:

8. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    So, what made you "sure" about disabling the Windows Modules Installer service, or the Event Log (!!) service? Have you tried re-enabling the service and checking if that fixes your issue before asking about it?

Your post history just shows that you're not an experienced user, and as such you should be more cautious about what "tweaks" you apply, and evaluate the possibility that you may have to revert whatever tweaks you apply (ideally, on your own) in case they don't work out.

Don't customize your OS for the sake of customizing but try to think about what the implications may be or how to diagnose issues at a basic level (e.g. the event viewer). I'm sure you would have never even considered disabling "Event Log" had you known what its actual purpose is.

9. WinFree

WinFree MDL Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Yes it is true I'm not an experienced user of Windows 10. I have been using Windows 7 since it came out and only been user of Windows 10 for about a month. What I hate about Windows 10 is the privacy thing so I try to disable as much I can and still try to have a stable OS. This is a test period for me to find out how much I can push the limits and find a configuration I can be happy with.

I have disabled event log on my Windows 7 maschine without any problem. I disabled Windows Modules Installer service because obviously it gets very unstable and uses too much ram. Since I have disabled Windows Modules Installer service there has not been a issue yet and I hope it stays that way. Well it has been disabled for some hours and need wait a couple of day before I can be sure.

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  11. WinFree

WinFree MDL Member

Aug 6, 2016
  12. WinFree

WinFree MDL Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Turned on all services back again including Windows Modules Installer service and it consumed a lot of memory again so I turned it off. I'm curious if it's ok to keep it disabled? Will it do any harm to my system?

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  14. шдяу183

шдяу183 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2015
    In my PC Windows Modules Installer Worker manifests itself only if the system without MS accaunt or deleted metroUI. it works once 10-20 minutes, consuming 20-40 % of the memory of 8 GB, also its running time is a short-term engagement of up to 100% of HDD and network.

and again - when MS accaunt and untouched system settings, it never appears. Maybe he's looking for what's been removed/cut/disabled in the system and trying unsuccessfully to restore it with a huge load on resources.

15. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    [FONT=&amp]No idea. Like I said; never heard of this feature.[/FONT]

16. WinFree

WinFree MDL Member

Aug 6, 2016
    You have a good point.

17. WinFree

WinFree MDL Member

Aug 6, 2016
    I haven't had a problem with it disabled yet so far.