Windows monthly charges?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by winmaniac, Sep 9, 2018.

1. winmaniac

winmaniac MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    There are many news stories circulating on the web about Microsoft's plan to begin monthly charges soon for updates which they call "Microsoft Managed Desktop". Do you think that would happen? If so that would make using Windows quite expensive for normal users if the price is high. Any alternative?

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Windows Cloud OS trying to copy Chome OS, I would not worry about it, it is not like MS could handle that anytime soon.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    1. Have not heard anything, this is the first.
    2. As long as have not heard nothing, not needed to think anything.
    3. Until nothing has happened, can not talk about any price.
    4. Then is best not to use Windows. There is always a chance, always is something possible something, what helps. Always have been and always stays.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Saxle

Saxle MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2018
    #5 Saxle, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    I think this Microsoft Managed Desktop is for business customers, not for non-business customers yet. And from what I understand it is a pre-built VM cloud-like OS which is regularly updated and managed by Microsoft.

5. winmaniac

winmaniac MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2015
    That means business customers won't have the option of using normal Windows, so no more Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 LTSB?

6. Saxle

Saxle MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2018
    I can't imagine Microsoft would ever eliminate the standard Windows desktop for business/consumer. I see this as a SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) Cloud OS, similar to how Chrome OS works. This would likely be released in addition to other Microsoft products and services. Since Microsoft has not yet released a statement on what this will be, we can only speculate.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It's old news and not for consumer sku's.

8. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    LOL. If they ever did that to consumers, Satya Nadella might as well put a gun in his mouth and pull the trigger. :suicide: Nobody I know would pay a monthly fee for using Windows 10.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    yep I agree 100% ;)

10. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    :tooth:

11. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    and if they ever had monthly contracts for consumers on internet, cable and phones.......sorry consumers and mostly sheep pay for anything so why not this as sheep just do and don't think :) also if OS tied into updating software, drivers and other stuff that is managed service contract and consumers pay for antivirus and those fixme stick stuff as majority have no clue about technology and how to manage and update and keep what they own secure over time till they replace with different technojunk :) if price low enough consumers will buy into it but not unless the OS tied into new hardware like phones and their contracts :)

12. oilernut

oilernut MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2007
    They provide a lot of different cloud based solutions for enterprises, for a price. They have managed SQL server as well, but no way is that going to be the only option available.

13. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    the only thing Microsoft will do is not have adds in business OS and charge them for use as a service for updates and improvements , as for consumers you will see more adds they will probably improve the data gathering process on consumers . and nothing will change . Google and Microsoft its all about power and money

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    And none could beat Apple!! Apple is the biggest Cheater also!

15. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Hence googles empty chair.