Windows not genuine warning but I still can download updates - should I fix it?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jmlr, May 18, 2012.

1. jmlr

jmlr MDL Novice

May 18, 2012
    Hello everyone.

Well, I also got the dreaded "Windows not genuine" warning after installing SP1, on a computer with Remove Wat previously installed.

I see lot of people worried about getting Windows again into genuine mode, and I was wondering why, since it seems I still can download and install every critical updates.

Is there any other reason to convert windows again into genuine? I´m a bit afraid of using WAT Fix as it seems there´s a certain risk involved of not being able to boot again and having to repair the installation. The last thing I need now is to have to format my disk.

Thanks for your help

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. MEAN_AS

MEAN_AS MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks Tito i had the same problemas jmlr i used RemoveWat and got in the crap ... i follow what you said iUninstalled RemoveWat and all its traces with Watfix....used Dazs Loader rebooted now its saying Windows is now Genuine with Genuine water mark , and just done its first update cheers to all the Guys doing the Hard Yard ...Thank you ..

4. jmlr

jmlr MDL Novice

May 18, 2012
    Considering I said I already installed RemoveWAT, I can´t see why it would help me to tell me not to use it...

My main question is: even though windows says it´s not genuine, it seems I still can install updates so... what am I missing?

5. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Aha, a heads up for RemoveWAT users. M$ jumped on that and patched it, so don't ever use it :D

6. jmlr

jmlr MDL Novice

May 18, 2012
    What kind of system and software problems have been reported?

Thanks for the help.