Windows.old

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Scann69, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Is this safe to delete from C drive?

I installed build 7068 without formating away the older build. Now it has created a Windows.old folder that is 14.9 GB. Just wondering if i delete this, will it effect my windows or are all those files in windows.old not in use by the OS anymore?? :confused:

2. hwh1226

hwh1226 MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2007
    Yes, it's completely safe to delete it.
    That happens when you runs the setup inside windows and choose the clean installation without formatting the partition/drive...

3. Nihahs

Nihahs MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2009
    Yes, but make sure to get your personal files out of it before you delete it.

4. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Huh...there will be personal data in windows.old? Crap...there are so much rubbish in that folder :( Might just take the risk and save myself the trouble :p

5. Nihahs

Nihahs MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2009
    Yeah there are in Windows.old\Users\[USERNAME], they are basically all the folders that you open when you select your user name from the start menu like Videos, Pictures, Downloads, etc. However you can delete the Windows and Program Files folders since they are not usable anymore.
    I always install new builds like this so I can have my personal data and have a clean install on my machine. I just copy them to their similar directories in my new install.

6. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Small correction - User data is in the %root%\Users\%username% folder
    not in %systemdir% (like e.g. Windows.old).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Thanx guys. I just remembered that i link the user folder to another partition so every time i install a new build, i just link it all back to the storage partition :)

Just saved myself 15Gb or space :)