Windows RC Help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ivan514, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ivan514

ivan514 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey, so ive been getting the dreaded message about the os expiring in 13 days. Ive been looking all over for solutions and ive found a couple. On this forum i used the RemoveWAT program but after using it, windows still says its expiring in 13 days. Please help give me neccessary steps to save my windows installation.
    Thank you so much for your time.

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    I hope you know that RC is a release candidate only and nothing else, its suppose to expire.
    Why do you want to run a testversion ? *-)

I suggest you save all your things and download/buy windows 7..

3. ivan514

ivan514 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2010
    I would like it to be that easy. But I lost my old vista install disk so i would have to rebuy/dl an OS.
    On top of that i have ubuntu installed with the grub boot loader and i have heard that it is hard to install windows afterwards since it overwrites grub.
    Reinstalling the OS is my last resort.

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I don't think nayone has removed the time bomb from the RC - the final release came out way before the expiry so why bother?

I think you're stuck with a download and a new install or stick with Ubuntu - none of the patches designed for the RTM version work with the RC version and some of the ones for the RC version that made it into a Frankenbuild and appear activated do not remove the time bomb so I think you're stuck with installing the RTM version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ivan514

ivan514 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2010
    #6 ivan514, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    (OP)
    I heard there was something called a "timernuke". Do you know if it's genuine?

EDIT: Timesurfer, this looks pretty simple and logical. Thanks i will try this and see if it works.

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    At least you can upgrade instead of clean install. But clean is better if you have back up for files. :)

7. ivan514

ivan514 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2010
    So, i just mount the iso, change a couple files around, upgrade, and then the problems fixed completely ? No watermark or anything?

8. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Pretty sure.

I'd install from media like DVD-r or USB though just in case you need repair disk :cool:

9. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...