Windows RC XP mode ? 16bit colors LOL

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PluG, Aug 5, 2009.

1. PluG

PluG MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Thought this VM was ment to be awsome and play games that where mostly fully compatible with xp and not on vista or win7 ect.

all im getting is 16bit colors and no video acceleration ?
    i get but the basic direct draw but no acceleration ?

and audio isnt useing my sound card with hardware acceleration either.

why couldnt microsoft intergrate the winxp mode so that is uses win7`s api for graphics and sound that way the os fully works in vm but uses graphics power and sound power from the Win7 in the background ect.

2. DivideX0

DivideX0 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    No windows xp mode has nothing to do with games.
    Nor have I read anywhere that it was for games.

3. PluG

PluG MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    well that sucks LOL
    guess i will uninstall it then heh :)

4. myndwire

myndwire MDL Junior Member

Jul 17, 2009
    yeah their 'xp mode' is just a crappy virtualization app they wrote with an xp image. use vmware or virtualbox for real OS emulation under win7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rasso

rasso MDL Member

May 24, 2009
    well,I Installed it yesterday but its 16 bit,lol,like my first computer,,I will try the final versiyon, then if ı wont like it,ı will delete it

6. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I didn't use XP Mode, but from what i understood it should be using microsoft's Virtual PC platform, which is logical for them to do.

and anyway, myndwire, virtual pc IS a real virtualization software, maybe a bit limited compared to VMWare, but it can do the job. and anyway, even VMware doesn't have hardware acceleration for DirectX

7. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I wonder which Neolithic cave M$ dug this up.

I dont think many businesses will be impressed when they run their "legacy" software in this mode.

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it runs apps fine it is meant to be used a last effort by people that can't run their apps on 7 and don't have the money or resources to port them over.

I don't understand why people think that this is supposed to run seamlessly when you only allocate 256mb of RAM to it. It runs just as well as VMWare Workstation does when you devote the resources to it.

No where has it been posted by MS that this is supposed to run games or be a replacement for a pure VM solution. It is meant like I said to be a last ditch effort for apps that refuse to run on Win7.

9. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    The whole idea of 'XP Mode' is that your 'legacy business applications' run in the 'WinXP VM' yet they appear on the Windows 7 desktop. In a similar way to MED-V.

Personaly, I've yet to see any 'legacy business applications' that need more than 8bit GFX, never mind 3D or hardware acceleration. :)

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    It could be worse dude, that app could have been written for Win98. :eek:
    But still its a classic example of why IT Managers/Depts. are pushing to be allowed to use VM's. ;)

11. Sacro

Sacro MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    Erm, what is wrong with 16 bit colour? It's fine for a VM, not like you need 24/32 bit for business apps.

12. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007
    A lot of business have special software they depend on but it is poorly written crap and won't run on anything other than Windows XP. That's what the virtual XP mode is for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. mazodude

mazodude MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    You can adjust the amount of ram given to xp mode :)

14. Learner

Learner MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2008
    Disable Integration features and you can change the colors to 32-bit in XP mode. Although, it still won't be possible to use Direct3D.

For games, install XP in Virtual PC, instead of using XP Mode. Or dual boot.

15. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
  16. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Virtual Box open source version doesn't have full USB support (no virtual USB controller)!