[DISCUSSION] Windows Repair Toolbox

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by windsman, Feb 19, 2015.

1. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    @Mr.X
    You won't need to do that. As you suggested, I'll auto-delete those .zip files too. I've tested and the deletion happens so fast that is imperceptible.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Great Alex, you are doing a stupendous remarkable job. Thank you for hearing me.

3. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    #123 AlexCa, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Hello everyone, I've just released version 2.0.0.5 of WRT. Here's what changed:

- The .zip and other archive files will now be automatically deleted after extraction, in order to save space. Thanks to @Mr.X for the suggestion.

- Fixed: The email settings were not being saved (this is only applicable to the normal version, the portable version only saves the branding settings).

- The progress label will now indicate when .zip files are being extracted after download ("Extracting please wait...").

- Some other internal fixes and improvements.

Thank you!

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #124 Mr.X, Oct 30, 2017
    Thanks.

And what is this Alex?

DU.png

------------------------------
    I assume most, if not all, programs are downloaded from your own server right?

5. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    #125 AlexCa, Oct 30, 2017
    The definitions is a list, that I keep updated, of the download links to the tools.

With the exception of CrystalDiskInfo, that is downloaded from a software portal, all the tools are downloaded from their original servers.

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Got it.
    So every time I run Windows Repair Toolbox and the msgbox says "Definiitions Updated!", it means all my downloaded tools, their versions are compared to that list and informs me all tools are updated? If one or more are not, what happens? Does WRT informs me one or more are outdated?

7. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    #127 AlexCa, Oct 30, 2017
    Oh, it doesn't work that way. When you try to download a tool, WRT looks in the definitions file for the respective download link.
    The msgbox only means that the definitions file was updated to a more recent version, one containing updated download links.

The program doesn't inform you about outdated tools. When you click in the button of a tool that already exists in your pen drive (because you already downloaded it before), it will simply ask you if you want to download a new copy. If you do, a new copy of the tool is downloaded (using the download link that is in the definitions file mentioned above) and previous one is erased. If you don't, it will run the copy you already have.

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Got it.
    How about adding this feature? Just by clicking one button WRT could check and compare versions and inform accordingly.
    I know this could pose a lot of work for you but it will be a great feature though.

9. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Yes, I've already thought about something similar but still haven't had the time to do it. Thank you for the suggestion though.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    With this feature users won't have uncertainty whether they're running latest version or not. Anyone could say, well download a new package and that's it, but this feature could spare large amounts of time and hassle and disk wear.

11. tehhunter

tehhunter MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    thank you what a nice tool

12. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Hello everyone, I've just released version 2.0.0.7 of WRT. Here's what changed:

- Fixed a bug in the portable version of WRT: if "Windows_Repair_Toolbox.zip" was extracted directly (right-click > "Extract Here") to the root of a drive, the programs would download but would not run. The error was: "The system cannot find the file specified".

- When the "Clear downloads" button, in the "Settings" tab, was clicked, it would always ask if the user wanted to delete any custom tools that might have been added or downloaded. This was annoying and the user could accidentally delete the programs that he manually had placed in the custom tools folder. Now it will only be given the option to delete the downloaded custom tools (and not the added) - what makes the most sense -, and the message box that gives that option will only show when those exist.

- Added an informative warning message when the "Norton Power Eraser" button is clicked.

- Changed the description under "How to use:" in the "Custom Tools" tab.

- Updated Notepad++ to the version 7.5.2.

- Some other internal and minor changes.

Thank you!

13. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    #134 AlexCa, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Hi all, I've just updated WRT to version 2.0.0.8.

Here's what changed:

- Added a "Download All" button (in the "Settings" tab) that allows to download all the tools at once. The idea is to fully prepare WRT to be used in offline / slow connection computers, or simply to have all the tools already previously downloaded for faster use. The non-essential "Clear Checkboxes" and "Clear Notes" buttons have been removed to open space to this option.

There are a few shortcomings though:

1 - If the offline version of WRT is prepared in a 64-bit version of Windows, some of the tools will require a new download if WRT is later used on a 32-bit version of Windows, and vice-versa. This happens because some of the tools have separated download links for the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and, when it's time to download them, WRT will not download both, but will choose according to the version of the OS where it's being executed.

2 - The tools FRST and Zoek aren't downloaded. This is because, AFAIK, they are supposed to be saved to and executed from the Desktop.

3 - The "Run Unattended" process still requires internet connection.

- Fixed: the "Clear Downloads" button was very slow to to its job, particularly when there were many tools to delete. That as been fixed and now it's much faster.

- The "start_WRT_in_reduced_functionality_mode.bat" will now immediately launch WRT (without showing any previous text). This starts WRT much faster, with very little loading time, and its useful for when we only have in mind to quickly run some specific tool in the computer and don't want to wait for the real-time monitors to load.

- "ESETSirefefCleaner" (the "Serv. Repair" button in the "Repairs" section), the tool used to restore Windows Services to their default state, has been replaced with "Chrome Cleanup Tool".

I removed the tool because it hasn't been updated since December, 2015 and Windows 10 has received several upgrades since then. Besides, "Tweaking.com - Windows Repair" can do the same job and it's updated regularly.

- Fixed: "Vipre Rescue Scanner" and "MBAM" would not run in a different computer from where they were downloaded, if the letter assigned to to USB drive from were WRT is running was different.

- Fixed: in the "Final Tests" tab, "CrowdInspect" and "StressTest" would not mark their respective checkbox when executed offline.

- Updated Notepad++ and the temperature monitor.

As always, your feedback is welcome.

Thank you.

14. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    #135 AlexCa, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Released version 2.0.0.9, in order to fix a bug that was meanwhile reported by an user, and also to introduce a small improvement to a functionality.

- Fixed: if the S.M.A.R.T monitor that is integrated into WRT was for some reason prevented from running (e.g: security software interference), WRT would display an alert regarding the health of the system drive.

- Improved: excluded the "Windows.old" folder from the scope of the scan performed by the "AVLeftovers" functionality (in the "Uninstallers" section).

Thank you.

15. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    #136 AlexCa, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Hi, the program is compatible with all Windows versions between (and including) Windows XP and Windows 10.
    Server versions are not supported.

16. JarrahBenida

JarrahBenida MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2018
    I saw the same, but didn't use it

17. khoighost

khoighost MDL Novice

May 25, 2015
    :worthy: OMG! Big thanks bro!

18. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    #139 AlexCa, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Hi all, version 2.0.1.0 is now available for download. It fixes the NirLauncher download (since yesterday or earlier today, Nirsoft protected the .zip file with a password, and so it was necessary to adapt the code in order to be able to extract it). I also took the opportunity to update the 7-Zip components to version 18.01. Thank you.

19. AlexCa

AlexCa MDL Member

Apr 14, 2015
    #140 AlexCa, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018