Windows RT Metro signal an unwelcome return to the digital dark ages. Update: 15/5!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Yen, May 10, 2012.

  1. Yen

    Yen Admin
    Staff Member

    May 6, 2007
    10,973
    10,542
    340
    #1 Yen, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kyeahy

    kyeahy MDL Junior Member

    Apr 1, 2011
    69
    18
    0
    Unfortunate you're always so negative on Windows 8. I'm fine with it, but then Apple should do the same on iOS otherwise it isn't fair.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. eslu

    eslu MDL Novice

    Oct 19, 2010
    8
    1
    0
    #3 eslu, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
    Correct me if im wrong, but are all tablets based on the ARM version?
    If i am right, this will be a let down for tablet owners. But at the same time,
    Internet Explorer isn't a bad browser anymore. It has improved a lot since XP and Vista.
     
  4. _spinner_

    _spinner_ MDL Addicted

    Apr 3, 2011
    680
    280
    30
    Negative is not the right word, realistic is the one i choose 1000 times.
    Yen is a good and full of experience man, i'm working with windows machines from more than 15 years.
    If you use PC for work(not just chitchatting round the web), XP and 7 as i use at work, it are very productive, doing the same on 8 you loose 2 hours more.
    Believe me, believe Yen, "we(OS users that need productivity)" will not only skip 8(we are happy as it is, our bosses so) but completely not suggest to noone

    This is latest step to sink down and follow the Titanic....

    Good going Microsoft, Ubuntu and Apple is just waiting this.... maybe with a smiles on your back :D:D:D:D
     
  5. PaulDesmond

    PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

    Aug 6, 2009
    7,008
    7,160
    240
    Many companies work with MS software since many years. They were using DOS, later NT and so on, guess a Server R2 is one of the latest based on W7 or Vista, whatever. Do you think that "business" will run crazy because of an 8 so-and-so? My experience is that they wait and let some time go until new changes MUST be made. I handle some machines with XP pro still running fine and the owners have no need to change it ( even if I insist). Some say that they find a 7 pretty cool now and I say: We're facing 8 but they still stay oldfashioned. Reason is simple: WE are crazy and want the latest but the puplic/business is lazy or better say clever? and keeps the money in the pocket. Dig it that way ....
    despite all, I like to get the NEW :biggrin:


    paul
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Yen

    Yen Admin
    Staff Member

    May 6, 2007
    10,973
    10,542
    340
    I quote meanings which accentuate my worries. Obviously I am not alone who has those.
    I cannot say anything about Apple, they are not better concerning free market politics.
    I am happy there is Android at which I can run any favorite browsers. Also I can do that on w7. I am no M$ hater I only dislike the ideas which seem to be realized at w8.

    I have taken a look at a PC on which w8 CP had been installed at a computer store, with a touch screen while waiting for a friend. There were 'ordinary' customers playing with it.
    They soon moved away not even be able to switch to classic UI in a appropriate time. And those who have managed that missed the start button later....
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Yen

    Yen Admin
    Staff Member

    May 6, 2007
    10,973
    10,542
    340
    Changes must be made because we have only one choice and that is M$ at least on corporate PCs. Changes must not be made because the 'previous' w7 is old fashioned.

    W7 will vanish because M$ drops the support one day, but not because of w8 is the better OS.
    To have the latest doesn't mean to have the better.
    You say WE like to get the NEW..it's good for their ego (M$) to have the latest, yes.

    In fact you are forced to get what one simple company has to offer.
    This I don't call new in the name of innovation, we have stone age conditions in a high tech world.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. socrates007

    socrates007 MDL Junior Member

    Oct 10, 2011
    70
    10
    0
    Yen,

    Thanks for this post. I have already been so ticked at M$ regarding Windows 8 - and even more so because of their predatory and monopolistic activation for OEM channel. This just makes my disdain for anything Windows 8 go over the edge. I would never recommend any version of it to anyone.

    I really appreciate many of your posts that I have been coming across in this forum the past couple of days. You have a very good mind, and also an astute grasp on ethics. That was quite lucid to me when I read your later post in this thread -

    Yes! We live under the thumb of a few monopolies who exert more and more control over our lives as time passes. They stifle our imagination, and hold back our progress as a species.
     
  9. lingming

    lingming MDL Novice

    Sep 14, 2011
    17
    0
    0
    I can't see to many differents Want is sound like is alot of people use the mouse so much. me and my friends uses screen reader and have fully used win8 for along time now their is a few differents but overall i think they changed the outside how it looked and not so much the inside now this is in the windows not the metro apps their are a few mismatches
     
  10. Yen

    Yen Admin
    Staff Member

    May 6, 2007
    10,973
    10,542
    340
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. fardeen

    fardeen MDL Member

    May 11, 2010
    182
    10
    10
    lets face it , windows 8 UI sucks for desktop pc with no touchscreen.... first reaction i got when i saw my bro windows 8 metrooo interface is "so widnows 8 makes ur pc in to an IPAD tablet?"
     
  12. Yen

    Yen Admin
    Staff Member

    May 6, 2007
    10,973
    10,542
    340
    #13 Yen, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
    (OP)
    These are just names, but I know. And w8 is not w8 since there are different SKU.
    The original topic is about a opinion of Mozilla about the new windows OS that is made for ARM devices formerly known as w8 arm, or name it crippled8 = RT.
    The thread title is an original quote of the article.

    I actually went off topic as member kyeahy meant that I am always negative about w8.

    Nevermind. Restriction is restriction and there are worries about.
    Why not simply one non restricted environment for arm devices???
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Jachra

    Jachra MDL Member

    Apr 5, 2010
    178
    53
    10
    Simply, because Microsoft doesn't want developer just port their apps over to the ARM based Windows RT and use Win32 API's.
    This might lead to a bad experience for the end user on his/her tablet. Those apps could potentially expose mayor security threats and bad usage of battery power. This would lead to very bad press for Microsoft and could hurt the potential market share they hope to gain.
    They definitely do not want another Vista-period with this.
     
  14. Yen

    Yen Admin
    Staff Member

    May 6, 2007
    10,973
    10,542
    340
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. socrates007

    socrates007 MDL Junior Member

    Oct 10, 2011
    70
    10
    0
    Oh yeah, and I hope they really do. Remember all those Mac TV commercials that were running when Vista was released.....:D
     
  16. _spinner_

    _spinner_ MDL Addicted

    Apr 3, 2011
    680
    280
    30
    Yup man, and this time Microsoft gives the chance on a gold plate to competitors, Google and Mozilla has its words on it, and now with these microsoft decision to limit other Browsers(stop saying "Explorer is the best, i do not need others...") there's no sense at all to choose new Windows ARM tablets, when Android and MAC ones are ready on market with excellent usability.

    Google, Mozilla and Apple is just laughing with a new "gun" for Microsoft....

    Ps thanks for you reply, i've done it and reply soon :D
     
  17. Bosh

    Bosh MDL Developer

    May 30, 2010
    615
    296
    30
    It has been a while since I posted, but after seeing such biased posts, I feel the need to do it. As an example (and I have nothing against you since this is a free forum for free people :D):

    Bashing Microsoft does not gives validity or make the statements true, so here's my attempt to an unbiased post:

    I used W8 Developer preview for some time but I didn't liked it. I haven't tried the consumer preview but I guess it should be a little bit better after seen videos and list of improvements.

    Regarding the closed ecosystem, I don't see much of a difference. What microsoft said is that in RT there would be no classic desktop, and as a consequence the browsers for the Desktop Version don't work, but that doesn't prevent Google or Mozilla to create their Windows RT Browser, just as with iOS or Android have their own version fo the browsers, iOS doesn't use OSX browser so I guess it's not that different from Windows RT to not use Windows 8 browser.

    I'm no Microsoft fanboy, I'm a fanboy of fullfiling and smooth user interface and experience, if Microsoft gives me that it's OK for me, if it's Apple maybe not that OK but I have to admit that the iPhone is a very well thought enterteinment devicd, if it's Linux/Android I'm good with it too (I liked WebOS it's a shame Leo Apotheker throwed it away). I justify the closed environment because of the quality control, might not be the best solution but is one that works (Apple has proven it).

    I hope I don't get too much haters because of my post.

    Peace :shisha:

    Bosh
     
  18. Yen

    Yen Admin
    Staff Member

    May 6, 2007
    10,973
    10,542
    340
    Hi Bosh,
    of course anybody is welcome here to post opinions about. Btw: Isn't a opinion supposed to be biased in a way? :biggrin:

    The point is, may I quote here the source I had posted.

    Mozilla's concerns:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Bosh

    Bosh MDL Developer

    May 30, 2010
    615
    296
    30
    Hi Yen,

    Seeing that I agree that Microsoft is taken advantage of their own products, but the have the right to do it, google does the same with their services and nobody complains about this (Google interconects all the services and yet no third parties can have APIs to access this).

    And about the biased posts, I guess it's more of a language barrier, but what I meant (thanks google translate :D) is rude posts, "this sucks", "windows is iPad" , etc, but you're right, they have the right to do it.

    I'm glad that I can have a friendly discussion :)