Windows rtm is deleting folder image thumbnail preview anyone else has this problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kiruijhnstn, Oct 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kiruijhnstn

kiruijhnstn MDL Member

Aug 12, 2012
    ​Since the testing of Windows 8, I've been using it all the way until the final RTM. I have to admit that M$ has really re-imagined windows and it is pretty fine :biggrin:. The problem is, :confused: the folder thumbnail cache is being reset frequently. This forces the recreation of the thumbnails which is irritating. I had always thought that M$ would correct this issue before the final release. This problem used to be in Windows 7 but was corrected later. I have changed the security information at the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer so that the thumbnails are not deleted. I dont like this method. Is anyone else having this problem and what is the best solution if you do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dontcha

dontcha MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    I have the same problem. The method you used with explorer security settings doesn't work for me. It's getting on my nerves as recreation of thumbnails slows down my system and I don't see any solution except disabling thumbnails altogether.

3. kiruijhnstn

kiruijhnstn MDL Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I wish there were a better solution out there for this problem coz this is the only part I hate about the good Windows 8...
    Do you mean you who is reading this post now do not have this problem. I tend to think many people face this problem but for some reason they don't mind at all.
    Anyway, I have searched for a lasting solution but so far I haven't come across a suitable solution to this problem. I hope there is a person out there who might have a solution to this bug.
    I wish m$ had dealt with this issue. It's kind of a small bug, may be intended by m$ for for reasons I cannot understand.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dontcha

dontcha MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    Nope, sorry. It happens all the time. I even tried to change security options to all thumbnail files in Explorer folder one by one. It was working for about 5-8 minutes and then it reset everything again. Hopeless. :mad:

5. dontcha

dontcha MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    I thought that I really see a difference after setting Visual Effects like you advised but after restart my thumbcache file (about 260MB) was lost again and of course all thumbnails needs to be rebuild again :(

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You can try tacking the issue with Process Monitor from Sysinternals, very powerful tool.

7. dontcha

dontcha MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    Thx. But it would be really hard to catch this especially when it's happening mostly during system startup and many apps are starting. Other time it's happening without any reason when you go to the folder with photos.

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    No, like i said it's a very powerful tool. It can track even stuff on bootup, it has filters and seperation between File, Registry, Network, Thread Activity etc... you should actually saying "it would be hard to catch" because it's easy to catch, just track your cache file that gets deleted, when you see it being deleted you unflag the filters and look around it etc.. and maybe you'll get to see why your file is getting deleted.

9. dontcha

dontcha MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    Thx again. I will look into it later and post my result.

10. dontcha

dontcha MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    Nope. Still don't know. For a moment I thought that it might be related to Bitdefender active protection but no (I know as I uninstalled it). After that I thought it could be Windows Defender so I disabled it - still nothing. Only thing in Process Monitor I see now is Explorer.exe and normally Result is SUCCESS (file operations). But sometimes I get Operation <Unknown> and Result is INVALID PARAMETER. That's all I know.

11. dontcha

dontcha MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    Looks like denying delete permissions is working, though I have set it now not only to System but also for Administrators and user (my account). It's four days since I set it up and my thumbnails are still alive. But I got another issue now I don't know why but sometimes explorer hangs and I don't see any thumbnails, but after restart everything is normal - no need to rebuild thumbnail cache again.

12. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    It's not working for a long time and then you see broblem with the cache.

13. eydee

eydee Guest

Anyone using CCleaner? It does delete the thumbnail cache unless you deselect it.

14. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    CCleaner is not the problem.

15. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Is the program ThumbnailExtractionHost.exe delete the thumbnail cache ?

16. dontcha

dontcha MDL Novice

May 4, 2011
    For Explorer folder I have set limited permissions for System and Administrator and disabled permission inheritance (so that thumbnails to delete could be emptied) and for 3 weeks my thumbnails don't disappear. The cost is system stability. Explorer often crashes or hangs and needs to be restarted. But if no solution is available.... well I have to live with this. I have a question though. Does anyone checked if the issue with thumbnails cache exists in Windows 8.1 Preview?

17. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Anyone found new solution ?

18. Nuclear_Mind

Nuclear_Mind MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2007
    Up ...

No solutions yet ??

19. buendia

buendia MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    I think that Windows Automatic Maintenance may be deleting thumbnail cache since it runs daily. I noticed that after Automatic Maintenance has been run thumbnails have to be generated anew.