Windows search service cannot start

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nechrist, Jan 6, 2018.

1. nechrist

nechrist MDL Guide Pack

Apr 24, 2010
    Hey guys. As the title says I'm having problem with the wsearch (Windows search) service which doesn't start and returns the error code 15: system cannot find the specified location. I have checked everything, the locations stored in the registry are correct, I have tried to change the paths and still nothing. I have done a sfc /scannow and dism restore health too. Any clue to fix this?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Also run CHKDSK C: /F /R /V as admin which will need some time. It could be a bad sector or something which isn't be reported by sfc /scannow and/or DISM!

The CHKDSK Parameters are:
    • /F = fix errors on disk
    • /V = display Cleanup Messages on NTFS or: display the path and files on Fat32
    • /R = locates bad sectors and recover readable infos
    Please keep in mind, after using CHKDSK on C Drive, you must restart the computer because it could not run from within Windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nechrist

nechrist MDL Guide Pack

Apr 24, 2010
    Thank you. I forgot to say that the os drive is a ssd drive.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just use CHDKDSK with Parameters /F /V NOT /R! It doesn't matter if CHKDSK is used on Harddisk or on SSD.

A different thing is DEFRAG: Do NOT use DEFRAG on SSD!

Just check upfront for your Brand and Type of SSD with the manufacturer what could/should be done and what not! That differs for some Brand and Model!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nechrist

nechrist MDL Guide Pack

Apr 24, 2010
    I've done what you suggest but still nothing.

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
  7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Had similiar problems with Win 8.1 Upgrades where nothing helped, only reverting to an image backup.

Installed anything lately?

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Any chance to use nsudo for TI elevation :g:?

9. nechrist

nechrist MDL Guide Pack

Apr 24, 2010
    How to do that?

10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  11. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Even MS states that if error can't be corrected a repair might be last resort.

12. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Try resetting Cortana In a PowerShell window (run under the administrator context) > Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

13. nechrist

nechrist MDL Guide Pack

Apr 24, 2010
    I'm happy to notify that i finally found a working solution! The problem was that the System Volume Information of the C: drive was missing some privileges for the SYSTEM user. I have re-add it back to that dir using treesize free and, surprise, wsearch starts without any problems! I hope this will help anyone you will encounter this issue.

14. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Dear friend, such a things as check disk and defrag does not exist for SSD, these are only HDD tools and cannot be used for SSD. Even if You very-very want, not possible. SSD is not mechanical, but energetical levels recording method and You cannot change or reorder any energetical level with thes old things.
    And yet, it's never possible to be done and it is never needed to do.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry, CHKDSK work with the parameters /F and /V also on (many, maybe not all SSD's! The use of parameter /R isn't available for SSD's and even should never be tried to use. DEFRAG should not be used on SSD's!

Why do I need to repeat what I already wrote in Post #4? Did you really have read my post? I don't think so because all that warning was already given! I also stated, that before using such tools, that the info of the manufacturer of the used SSD should be checked upfront (before) using any tools!