Windows security sux??

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by boobear, Nov 16, 2013.

1. boobear

boobear MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    I am logged in as Administrator (Windows 8 core), which according to MS give me power to do anything I want.

However, I try to change a file in a folder under Program Files/WindowsApps and it's a no-go.

Error = Access to file xxx denied.

Do I need PRO do this?? Anyone??

Boobear

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Trusted Installer Module has much power than all accounts :D

you have to change the security settings for the folder / location to get access

3. boobear

boobear MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2010
    Tried that...... Changed the security settings to full control for Administrator.... Tried changing the owner to Administrator..... Did both recursively...... Still refused to let me in.

I've NEVER liked MS security since day one..... You apparently can't join the same group as TrustedInstalled belongs to, either....

boobear

4. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Wrong...

And you come bitching about it to a windows support forum...Really?

5. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    This Folder is in a Windows 8.x a very special folder. In this folder there are all the WinRT apps installed. You are normaly not allowed to change something in this folder because it's part of the WinRT-Sandbox and let anybody (like you who doesn't know that this is a very special place to change something) change anything is a very bad thing for security/pirating-standpoint. That you aren't allowed to access this folder is more secure than anything on Windows!

As far as I know you can't access this folder in normal operating Windows. You have to boot in recovery or boot from a CD/DVD/USB-Drive to be able to access this folder. DON'T CHANGE ANY ACCESSS-RIGHT IN THIS FOLDER. You will only screw up your whole WinRT-System (the Metro Apps).

6. eydee

eydee Guest

ntfs-3g can help... but be careful. if you f. up your system, don't complain.

7. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    just boot in Safe Mode and f**k up all the things you want to f**k up

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You need to run the icacls program and grant permissions to the Administrator for certain Trusted Installer owned folders or files.
    I really would recommend against doing things that way. Once you mess with the permissions on those files, they can behave erratically.

Whatever you're trying to accomplish, I'd recommend accomplishing using group policy settings instead of manually modifying the files.

9. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #10 Enigma256, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    Because this is a special folder, Explorer is actively blocking your access. It does the same thing with the Recycle Bin, too.

Do it the old-fashioned way: use the command prompt. Or a third-party file manager. You'll still have to contend with the ACLs, though, if you want to edit anything.