Windows Server 2008 32-bit and Virtualization

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by SegaGenesis, Jan 19, 2015.

1. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis MDL Junior Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Hi!

I have Windows Server 2008 (the first version, not R2), 32-bit installed on and older desktop. I would like to install a good virtual machine and make it run Windows XP as a guest so I can learn some Server-Client things this way. Since my Windows Server 2008 is 32-bit I can't use Hyper-V. Sadly, I can't install Virtual PC since Windows Server 2008 is not supported as a host system for it.

I would like a good virtualization software that will work on Windows Server 2008 32-bit, especially regarding interaction with the virtual XP client PC. So which (free) alternative would you suggest?

Thank you!

2. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Why not just get a better spec pc. Most hyper-visors are going x64 for good reason.

you could try vmware player or workstation.

3. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    I know but atm I can't get a better PC. VMWare Player needs 64-bit, as I saw. I will try the VirtualBox. Thank you!

4. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Trust me on one thing. Virtualbox is buggy as hell.

pretty sure you can get older vmware that will run on x86. Just dont expect good performance.

5. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    VirtualBox is not too bad, it works well, and it is free! (which is what the OP asked for). VMware Workstation is not free, and VMware Player is severely limited in features. VirtualBox has comparable feature set with Workstation.

6. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    Umm... I downloaded VirtualBox and previous version of VMWare Player which supports 32-bit systems. Which one should I install on it's host system (Windows Server 2008) and use to install the guest system (Windows XP) in order to be able to learn as much as possible regarding Server-Client and Server roles and features in general? I would just like to pick one and go, I don't really have time to test them both.