Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard X64 What does it Contain??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by acyuta, Jul 15, 2010.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Let me say that through a student scheme (Dreamspark) that I came across recently, I am able to get the key and am downloading the Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard X64. This is not an iso but an img file of 2.8GB. I am presently using win 7 enter x64 and also win 7 ult 64. My query is:
    1. is it somewhat inferior or different to enter or ult. (no point in installing it then).
    2. is it true that some programs are not compatible with server r2 std.
    3. how do I install from an img file (is it like an iso where it is burnt to dvd and then installed).
    4. finally, is the student key activation in perpetuity (as in like reinstall with same key) or does it expire on reinstall/after a certain time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. blackcobra

blackcobra MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    1)1. is it somewhat inferior or different to enter or ult. (no point in installing it then).

a) what are u comparing with...win7.. obviously.. there would be diff between client OS and Server OS.

2) is it true that some programs are not compatible with server r2 std.

a) yes like AV.. u cannot install a client AV on to a Server OS. Even team viewer u cannot install on server for personal use.. u need to have commercial license ( just an example)

3) how do I install from an img file (is it like an iso where it is burnt to dvd and then installed).

Yes like ISO burn onto a CD and install

4)finally, is the student key activation in perpetuity (as in like reinstall with same key) or does it expire on reinstall/after a certain time.

U get full and it does not expire. But the keys u get from dreamspark are one time activation from next time u need to call M$ for reactivating.. SO back up u'r Tokens.dat etc etc ( i.e. the activation).

Server 2008 R2 can be made to look like.. win7 with few tweaks... but still there is diff between Server OS and Client OS.Stick with what u'r using now..

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes, I read about 4 and tweaks when I learnt about server. Reg. activation, perhaps an image backup and restore can solve it. Also tokens. and other pk.. file, plus the key.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...