Windows server 2008 terminal server licencing

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by chrisdeco, Mar 25, 2010.

1. chrisdeco

chrisdeco MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    My network configuration is this :
    ** IBM with server 2008 on it. The licences server is activated and right panel says there are an unlimited number of licences Windows Server 2000 integrated. It says also there are 7 volume licence Users (CAL licences) installed.
    **The other computers (4) have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on them.
    For test, I installed some .rdp files (paint-notepad ....) on these different computers to observe network behaviour.

My question is : Why, when I call a rdp file on a second computer, the first will stop his program also called with rdp files. The only thing I can do is running a program on the server 2008 and another on 1 computer of my choice but not 2. Session is closed on first computer when the second computer is calling rdp file. But something strange appears : the closed program is transferred on the other computer.

I resume :
    PC 1 : I run paint.exe (ex) by calling it with rdp files on server
    PC 2 : I run notepad.exe (ex) by the same way
    PC 1 lose his connection and transfers paint.exe on the other computer so I can see the 2 programs running on PC 2

This will not affect the behaviour of the server on which I can continue to run a third program which will not affect the network like above.
    I apologize for my poor english but I do all what I can to be understood!!

***SOS***

Christian The Belgian AmateurRadio

2. lafontma

lafontma MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2010
    I imagine you are using the same account to logon on of the 2 computers? If so, this is normal. In W2k8, by default, a user is not able to have more then 1 rdp session open. You need to modify the RDP properties in terminal server manager to allow more then 1 connection per user account

3. chrisdeco

chrisdeco MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    Thanks 1000 times for this info! You are right! I logon with the same account on PC1 and PC2. I modify as soon as I can the rdp properties.

4. chrisdeco

chrisdeco MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    You saw just!!! You were 100 % right and I thank you 1000 times again for this!
    I can now open several sessions with different user on each computer.
    It's much more difficult to find the way with rdp files.