Windows Server 2012 Datacenter vs. Windows 8 Core

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by win2012hack, Apr 1, 2013.

1. win2012hack

win2012hack MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2013
    So, I am just curious here:

According to many news sources, Windows 8 is just as bad as Vista (and I in fact downloaded an ISO from a torrent site and managed to install it on VirtualBox). The interface of this OS is somewhat confusing, even counter-intuitive, as (perhaps) Microsoft assumed that most Windows 8 users will be using it on tablets/touch-screen desktops. Certain things, such as the log-in screen, requires scrolling up, which makes no sense to someone using a standard 15.6 inch laptop.

I currently use a laptop with 4 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD, with Windows 7 Ultimate (upgraded with Ultimate OEM-SLP key) installed, but in a few months, I will buy a new laptop with 8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD, this new laptop in question is most probably going to have Windows 8 Core installed. I am not a gamer, and do not use Adobe CS6-like software (at least not at the moment). If I wipe the system of this new laptop, and put Windows Server 2012 on it, are driver compatibility issues expected? If so, what type of hardware is most vulnerable to these incompatibilities? Also, should I expect software incompatibilities? (I mainly use the following: IE, Office 2013, MathType, Geometer's Sketchpad, Visual Studio 2012, Eclipse Juno, Adobe Reader/Flash Player, Virtualbox, VLC Media Player, Skype, 7-zip).

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Then stay with 7 as is

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Win8 is not even close to as bad as Vista. The only terrible thing (to some people) is the Start screen. After you are past the start screen and back to the desktop it is essentially windows 7 but faster (imo) with more bells and whistles. Hell, I see the start screen maybe 3 times in 20 hours worth of using the machine. By the looks of what you mention that you run, there is no need for anything more than Win8 Core.

If you get a new system with Win8 on it, leave it on. Why change the OS that you paid for. Hell the majority of the price of the laptop is paying for Windows as it is.

4. Pegatron

Pegatron MDL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Server 2012 will perform best. It is the real successor to Windows xp. Backup your drivers. Everything should work. I've had some minor issues with Intel Integrated Graphics but that's it.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That is some weird statement...

6. Leica

Leica MDL Member

Nov 15, 2012
    #6 Leica, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    In my opinion Windows 8 is miles better than 7 and I don't even use Metros apps or touch. It is so light and fast and things like the file copying graph chart and the new Task Manager (and tons more new goodies) are things that I now cannot live without.

And of course I am not even talking about the gorgeous eye candy that the start screen is not to mention functional! It is so nice to see a live tile every time the start button is pressed. Many times you see important and interesting news when you don't even look for. It jsut flashes nicely before your eyes :)

It is the greatest leap forward in the MS-DOS/Windows timeline since Windows 95 and Windows NT.

I think people are too, too lazy to learn anything new.

Disclaimer: The above are merely my humble opinion! Please do not have a go at me! :dunno:

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Are you Gates or Ballmer?? LOL!

seriously though, aside from the from the start menu and apps I don't bother using anyway. The system is very fast and next to zero problems with it. Win7 Plus 1 lol

8. win2012hack

win2012hack MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2013
    But then, I have heard that Server 2012 has less **** on it, and I am not pretending that my laptop is some iOS-like device. Besides, I am KMS activating Server 2012 (even if KMS fails, I have DreamSpark as a backup).

So, in other words, I am better off buying a laptop that comes without an OS, that way, I do not pay for the "Windows Tax", I read many posts saying how OEMs pay for one license at a time when Windows is installed on their computers now, as there is no "OEM-SLP" like Windows 7 or any previous version of Windows. If I stick with 8, I would most likely hack to upgrade it to Enterprise using a KMS server, but I am likely to get caught by WGA (when it is released). Again, Windows 8 (Core, single language) is not very good, because I got used to using Ultimate (remember those OEM-SLP keys used for Windows Anytime Upgrade?)

Further, I believe that certain Server side features are worthwhile, depending on what I use my computer for (I believe I will be using it for software development and "complicated" mathematical calculations).