Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 on HP Proliant N54L

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by hellopiggy, Jan 31, 2015.

1. hellopiggy

hellopiggy MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2012
    Hello all,

I plan to install Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 on a HP Proliant N54L.

It has stock ROM (upated from hp.com)

I plan to use en_windows_server_2012_r2_essentials_with_update_x64_dvd_6052824.iso and activate with the Microsoft Toolkit (I know Daz's Loader is not an option).

Before I embark on the install, should this work?

I will feedback here with my success / failure / nervous breakdown.

Thanks for reading,
    hellopiggy

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Yep, this combo works fine.
    I have almost the same setup at home, I've got a N36L running Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 :biggrin:

Altho there are a few things to watch out for:
    1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS and Network drivers.
    There was a lot of hassle with HP when Server 2012 R2 was released as their BIOS/Network drivers didn't work and would halt the installation or freeze up the server on start up.
    If you hit this problem, turn off the NIC in BIOS during install and then get the latest versions of both.

2. You really need at least 4GB RAM to run Essentials R2 due to the extra media roles.

And couple of things you may find handy.
    Check out the BIOS section of the forum, you'll find a modded BIOS for the Microservers there. Which allows the CD/DVD and EXT. SATA ports to function as full SATA II ports. Meaning you can use 6 HDD's in the server, atho 4 can be RAID'd

Also, all versions of Server 2012 will run for 180 days without activation. Then when that (6 Months) is up you can 'Rearm' the server twice which should give you at least another two months (possibly a year) of extra time to use your server before worrying about moving to Server 2016 or Activating. ;)

Good Luck.

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @ZaForD

Server 2012/2012 R2 don't give you grace period after rearming.

4. hellopiggy

hellopiggy MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2012
    Thanks for the replies.

Do I need to worry about rearming anyway, if using the MS Toolkit? (I'm not familiar with MS Toolkit - had a WHS 2011 box with Daz's Loader which stayed activated just fine.)

Thanks again,
    hp

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Nope, MTK will activate your OS. Along with EZ-Activator, you're forever activated; just like Windows Loader.

6. hellopiggy

hellopiggy MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2012
    Thank you - I'll take the plunge and report back once installed and activated.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias MDL Junior Member

Jun 17, 2008
    You could run floppy kms under vmware on your n54l and that will enable you activate Essentials and any other windows/office installations on your network.

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I had a few versions of Server 2012/2012 R2 running on my Hyper-V Server when it was put into storage. When I got it back the demo time had ended on them all, so I Rearmed them.
    But one of them only gave me 30 days not 180 ??? I just can't remember if it was 'Storage Server' or 'Essentials' now :eek:

No, as Tito says its fine.
    I just like to be awkward and use all the other options before defaulting to MST or Loader. :cool:

9. idmanager

idmanager MDL Junior Member

Jan 25, 2010
    I have server 2012 r2 running on my hp54L. Running sabnzb and a ftp so I can share with my friends and mds and a kms server. It's all running ok

10. hellopiggy

hellopiggy MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2012
    Hello all, thanks again for your replies.

Success! I put en_windows_server_2012_r2_essentials_with_update_x 64_dvd_6052824.iso on a USB stick with the MS Win 7 USB tool, used the MSDN trial key at install. Then used the MS Toolkit to install AutoKMS then EZ-Activator. All well. Have updated from Windows Update and rebooted a few times and all seems fine. :clap: