Windows Server 2012 Essentials shared folder

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Lazze, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Lazze

Lazze MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    Hello everyone.

I am trying to set up a folder on my server for all my movies. The problem is that I can't figure out how to share this folder for anyone, not just users. I want guests on the network to be able to access the folder, how do I do this?

2. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    You need to grant permission to access this folder to everyone group.

3. Lazze

Lazze MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    I tried that, but when I try to browse the server on the network, it still asks me for a username and password.

4. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Control Panel->administrative tools->local security policy there is a stetting called: "Network Access: Shares that can be accessed anonymously". Try entering path to your share there.

5. Lazze

Lazze MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    That did not do the trick. It still asks me for a password when I try to access the share.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Rubbish! Did you reboot? Or at least gpupdate /force

Seb

7. Lazze

Lazze MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    Just tried, no luck yet. I should mention that I am not using the domain features, my setup is purely WORKGROUP based since I skipped the domain setup.

8. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    #8 CorporateRAT, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    Ok. Try changing this one as well: "Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users". It has been disabled by default since srv 2008 to harden security, but i assume your server is behind firewall.

9. Lazze

Lazze MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    That did not work either. I tried enabling the guest account, and that worked fine, but I cannot select which folders it has access to or not. There must be a way to do it without enabling that.

10. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    What types of clients do you use to connect to this share?

11. Lazze

Lazze MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    Just my home computers. I essentially want them to be able to access the share without using a username or a password, kind of like the guest user allows me. This is possible using Windows 8, but I can't get it to work with this. I also use the client backup feature of WS2012E, so switching to Windows 8 is not an option.

12. cyberbot

cyberbot MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2011
    If it asks for username and password for the share,
    check the permission, check if both computers are on the same workgroup, otherwise create a workgroup,

13. Lazze

Lazze MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    When I try to open the share from a client PC, I get prompted for a username and a password. I have tried sharing it with the Everyone user group, but that does not work either. They are all on the same WORKGROUP.