windows server 2012 essentials without domain setup?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ShyFx, Jan 11, 2013.

1. ShyFx

ShyFx MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2013
    Hello. This looks like a good forum with a lot of great tips and guides.
    I like to test out different windows versions and modify them to my own use.
    Now, I look to the windows server 2012 essentials setup that I'm trying to get installed without domain controller setup, I used DISM to disable some features like domain and Active Directory but it does not seem to prevent the forced domain setup.
    Does anyone know if there is any possibility to just have or install it as a workgroup without all AD and domain features:confused:

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    You can remove the AD and domain features after install.

3. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #4 derausgewanderte, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nemes

Nemes MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Yep, that's the way to go. You can't really get out of creating the domain, but you can definitely skip out on using it.

5. ShyFx

ShyFx MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2013
    #6 ShyFx, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    (OP)
    Ok, I try this reg edit when I install server 2012 essentials for more testing. Seeing that the dome name can not be changed later. What if I reformat and install server 2012 essentials again, I can choose a different name then or am I locked to use the same dome name I had before? Will this dome name be registered on the internet or is it just show up locally on home network:confused: